Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31
  1. #11
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by djshaker View Post
    Their shipping is a joke wherever in the world you are, they need to learn about combined shipping... my 75 Euro order is coming to 125 Euros with tax and shipping... no chance I'm paying that!
    Yeah I agree 100% and that's what keeps me from buying too. The first time I bought from them they didn't even have a website so I was very leery about buying from them. A month later it showed up so I kind of wrote it off as mission accomplished. My overall impression of them is that they are new at this and have a lot to learn about making it easier for people to trust them and buy records worldwide.

    I had an email chain with them about that and they took my advice with a grain of salt. They seem to have the hunger to release interesting joints though so I credit them for keeping their catalog interesting and fresh. Still you are going to pay an arm and a leg for shipping and waiting for a long time will be another factor so you'll really have to want it bad to bite.

  2. #12
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by rchecka View Post
    I had an email chain with them about that and they took my advice with a grain of salt.
    Not surprising at all. The one time I bought from them I was left with a shitty customer service experience, their freaking attitude was annoying beyond words. I received a record with a wrong label and after politely emailing them about it I was asked to provide video footage showing the problem, i.e. they implied I was probably lying. No apologies, no nothing. I kept my temper and calmly sent a short video anyway. I was then told that they would forward the issue to the pressing plant and get back to me when they receive a replacement copy (!). Still no apology, and to add insult to injury they commented that it was "just a wrong sticker on a working record". Note that the record wasn't sold out, they had copies sitting there the whole time.

    Not sure if adding taxes further down the checkout process is legal, but it's definitely a cunt move.

  3. #13
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Collector Ponce
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by speck View Post
    Not surprising at all. The one time I bought from them I was left with a shitty customer service experience, their freaking attitude was annoying beyond words. I received a record with a wrong label and after politely emailing them about it I was asked to provide video footage showing the problem, i.e. they implied I was probably lying. No apologies, no nothing. I kept my temper and calmly sent a short video anyway. I was then told that they would forward the issue to the pressing plant and get back to me when they receive a replacement copy (!). Still no apology, and to add insult to injury they commented that it was "just a wrong sticker on a working record". Note that the record wasn't sold out, they had copies sitting there the whole time.

    Not sure if adding taxes further down the checkout process is legal, but it's definitely a cunt move.
    Daupe started the tax thing too, it a bit of a poor show if you ask me.

  4. #14
    Tax is fine IF they're paying it on to the German internal revenue, in fact it's a legal obligation, in the UK the turnover threshold for charging VAT is 85k which I imagine Daupe is comfortably exceeding so they wouldn't have had a choice. In Germany it looks like the threshold is much lower at 17.5k Euros so again not unreasonable to assume Smoke On are exceeding this and therefore don't have a choice. Daupe are definitely a Ltd company in the UK and so paying the tax to HMRC, not so clear with Smoke On but there is a company on the German companies register called Smoke On so that may well be them... interesting to note that German VAT rate is 19% whereas they appear to be charging 25% so they may be profiting a little from the tax by overcharging... adding the tax later is annoying but not sure about illegal, and of course for non-EU countries who presumably don't get charged the tax (if they do then that's blatant profiteering) the advertised price is correct...

    For me the shipping is the real issue and also a major fuck up by them... small indie labels make all their money by selling direct to customers as that's where the margins are highest, so you want to do everything you can to encourage people to buy from you directly... however with their fucked up shipping costs it is MUCH cheaper for me to buy their records from somewhere like HHV with their flat rate shipping for any number of records, so that's what I do... they are quite literally costing themselves direct sales and therfore money by not charging sensible shipping costs...

    As an aside, does anyone know if you can file a paypal claim for unreasonable shipping costs? So if you place an order and pay 50 shipping fees and it then arrives with a 12 stamp on the box, can you make a claim?

    Lecture over

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by djshaker View Post

    As an aside, does anyone know if you can file a paypal claim for unreasonable shipping costs? So if you place an order and pay 50 shipping fees and it then arrives with a 12 stamp on the box, can you make a claim?

    Lecture over

    I would say not possible, shouldn't pay it in the first place if you don't agree with it.

  6. #16
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Collector Ponce
    Posts
    3,203
    No unfortunately it isn’t possible, I looked into a while back after some shocking Discogs transactions.

  7. #17
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,579
    Quote Originally Posted by djshaker View Post
    As an aside, does anyone know if you can file a paypal claim for unreasonable shipping costs? So if you place an order and pay 50 shipping fees and it then arrives with a 12 stamp on the box, can you make a claim?
    I've done this successfully with a US purchase - was charged $35 and the actual cost was $22 (this was about 10 years ago) I put a partial claim through and sent photos of the postage "stamp" cost and sender details.

    I got an automatic refund (it took about 30 days) as the seller did not contest it.

  8. #18
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    2,213
    Quote Originally Posted by djshaker View Post
    however with their fucked up shipping costs it is MUCH cheaper for me to buy their records from somewhere like HHV with their flat rate shipping for any number of records, so that's what I do...
    good suggestion, I didn't think about that, might save me some money! thank you!

  9. #19
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    550
    they are also releasing ugk's "banned" sometime in the future.

  10. #20
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by speck View Post
    Not surprising at all. The one time I bought from them I was left with a shitty customer service experience, their freaking attitude was annoying beyond words. I received a record with a wrong label and after politely emailing them about it I was asked to provide video footage showing the problem, i.e. they implied I was probably lying. No apologies, no nothing. I kept my temper and calmly sent a short video anyway. I was then told that they would forward the issue to the pressing plant and get back to me when they receive a replacement copy (!). Still no apology, and to add insult to injury they commented that it was "just a wrong sticker on a working record". Note that the record wasn't sold out, they had copies sitting there the whole time.
    Yeah, that would absolutely piss me off.

    Yeah I got the "annoying customers, how dare they want answers" vibe from them too when I emailed them.

    Business 101, don't talk down to your paying customers, even if they have no idea what they are talking about don't take the stance that by default they don't know shit and or they are "probably trying to pull a fast one" or are a complete novice at buying records. I certainly got that vibe too but dismissed it as soon as my record landed. Mind you this was a few years back and I was afraid they were going to rip me off since they didn't have a website and there were many red flags besides that.

    It's too bad it's gotta be like that since they are pretty good about putting out a lot of interesting music. Frankly I want quite a few of their releases and this upcoming one caught my eye on instagram yesterday.

    Buckwild - Digging in the Crates 4LP

    The question is how bad do I want it and how much shipping bullshit am I willing to go thru to get it.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •