Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Scratch DJing on iOS (& other digital platforms)

Sup !

im really struggling to find much info about how feasible it would be to scratch and juggle with low latency on iOS (iPad or iPhone) using a dj controller.

i know serato dj works fine on a MacBook but I was hoping to get an iPad (serato don’t support iOS yet)as they are more useful for what I need it for.

if there’s any software / hardware that is available for iOS that has the same low latency performance as serato I would love to know about it

ive already wasted a lot of money and time on a High spec windows laptop I purchased for serato dj to use with my controller (which works just fine on a iMac) and the latency was incurable (spent a long long time trying everything under the sun to get rid of the latency) rendering it useless for djing so I don’t want to have another shitty experience like that

anyone here used djay or edjing?

most reviews say nothing about latency or use for scratching and juggling
    Last edited by theblend; 24-06-19 at 11:37 AM.

DWG Warrior
    Or , if there’s no good solution for iOS any advice in purchasing a second hand macbook pro would be grand

I bought one recently that had faulty ram slots which led to a three month long Paypal dispute
    any recommendation for good sellers, or stores , or what models are capable of running serato scratch pro with no latency and are reliable etc

Looking for a digital a portable solution that is reliable, doesn’t cost too much (500 quid approx) and allows me to cut it up without lag!
    Last edited by theblend; 24-06-19 at 01:43 PM.

DWG Warrior
    at the least use serato or traktor for turntable tricks
    aka DJ JUST-1............. "So what you on, huh, dope or dog food?"

DWG Warrior
    On the iPad youd probably be beat off with Djay and a controller like the Reloop one :-

Dont bother with iOS version of Traktor its rubbish.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial_Mao View Post
    On the iPad you’d probably be beat off with Djay and a controller like the Reloop one :-

Dont bother with iOS version of Traktor it’s rubbish.
    thanks all for the replies so far

Agree serato with real decks would be best for tricks but I’m looking for (low latency)portability over everything else

That photon fader looks interesting I’ll look into that thanks andy

Mao- nice one this is the kind of vid I had set out to find - controller and iPad combo.
    question is now - does djay perform radically differently with different iPhones / iPads / controllers etc?

But yeah thats the kind of thing. It’s definitely possible to cut up nicely on dj controllers even the cheap ones . I’m surprised there isn’t more of a scratch / ‘tablist scene surrounding them unless I’ve been looking in the wrong places

more info the better thank you so much and anyone else want to throw their knowledge into the mix that would be amazing
    good archive too as these threads seem to be scarce

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by theblend View Post

Mao- nice one this is the kind of vid I had set out to find - controller and iPad combo.
    question is now - does djay perform radically differently with different iPhones / iPads / controllers etc?
    No it should pretty much run the same on all iPads, phones etc, it runs fine on my iPad Mini and iPad Air 2 both of which are getting long in the tooth now, as for controllers there doesn’t seem to be an issues with latency there either, it’s more to do with what features you want to have physical controls for and how much you want to spend.
    Also most of the controllers will work with both iOS and Macs.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial_Mao View Post
    No it should pretty much run the same on all iPads, phones etc, it runs fine on my iPad Mini and iPad Air 2 both of which are getting long in the tooth now, as for controllers there doesn’t seem to be an issues with latency there either, it’s more to do with what features you want to have physical controls for and how much you want to spend.
    Also most of the controllers will work with both iOS and Macs.
    Thanks pal, thats great news!
    Ive got a entry level denon MC2000 kitted out with an innofader that is actually really good for cuttin and juggling (with lots of practice) on the mac

if i can take just that and a iphone / ipad to a gig (and im guessing usb/lightning adapter and phone power adapter) i will be very happy indeed.

Not being a driver, its been a fucking ballache for years trying to do anything live with 1200s ... lugging x2 technics in flights, mixer, records, laptop and wires about using public transport is just not an option any more lol

Mao, from your experience is the iOS latency on par with desktop setups running serato etc? like can you do chirps and fast chops / scratching as naturally?
    Last edited by theblend; 25-06-19 at 01:01 PM.

DWG Warrior
    Beamz to the rescue, zero latency, stable as a muuuhfucka, just looks a bit weird taking it on the bus

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by theblend View Post

Mao, from your experience is the iOS latency on par with desktop setups running serato etc? like can you do chirps and fast chops / scratching as naturally?
    I’ve not used any desktop software, I only started messing around with the digital side of things when I saw how cheap I could set up my iPad a while back, however based on videos I’ve seen (by people with greater skills than mine) I’d say that there shouldn’t be any problems at all.
    It will certainly make it easier for you if you don’t have a car as you should be able to fit your whole set until in a backpack.