Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Best record shops of all time?

You can nominate 3 (or more if you need to), currently open or not - and don't include ebay or Discogs or anything that's online only.

I suppose the only criteria is that you've actually shopped there and aren't just going off reputation, pics, or whistful notions of being in Brooklyn in 1992.

Reasons can vary - consistently good over a long period or a 1 time visit when you were abroad, a few memorable purchases, prices, staff, location, size, etc whatever matters to you personally.

Go!

DWG Warrior
    Penny Lane, Chester: this was my local spot as a teenager after we moved up north. Used to bonk school and go hang out there, and ended up working there.

Tempest, Birmingham: got a very soft spot for this one because it's where I'd often find Rap-A-Lot stuff in the late 90s/early '00s when it was a total bastard to find in the U.K.

Amoeba, San Francisco: best record shop I've ever been to.

DWG Warrior
    Jays Cambridge (the bulk of my collection comes from this shop.

Groove Records (always loved going to Groove, also picked up some great records in there)

Mr Bongos (from the mid 90s to mid 200s this shop was unrivaled, great staff and would also get the records the others couldnt get)
    aka DJ JUST-1............. "So what you on, huh, dope or dog food?"

DWG Warrior
    Fat City, Manchester

Mr. Bongo, London

Muze Records, Bury

DWG Warrior
    Purple Penguin, Bristol (R.I.P)

B2A9D02D-CA92-4EA4-9FF4-8DBABAD3ED42.jpg

Bristol’s Hip Hop Mecca the legendary Purple Penguin. I picked up so many indie gems from there and it pretty much rivaled Bongo’s at the time in terms of the indie gems they were stocking. Scott (Boca 45) Jamie Hombre and Ben behind the counter selling me far too many records 2 or 3 times a week (fuck knows how much I spent in that shop!). Happy days indeed..What I would give to go back and dig in those racks again (especially the sales racks!) Picked up a 12” by Bablu – ‘Foreplay’ for about £3 and sold it for £175 a few years ago

Tony’s Records, Bristol (R.I.P)

Tony's records at the top of Park Street, Bristol, holds very fond memories for me (as I expect many ageing West Country heads!) I’ve posted about this legendary shop in the past. As a kid in the late 80’s saving up my lunch money and pocket money, going into the shop and heading straight to the tatty cardboard boxes at the counter full of the latest imports, 12"s £5.49 and Albums £8.99 (with the infamous stickers with red pen inked by John Stapleton (wanted Records) Still have a few Records in the collection with the sticker intact.

5AC07AFB-35ED-44F0-8B9F-F8BDFC9DAB04.jpg

Can also remember copping the first Lord Finesse album when it dropped, Stezo - ‘Crazy Noise’, Priority One and Low Proflle albums and many more.

Replay Records, Bristol (R.I.P)

Another legendary shop in Bristol and again I’ve posted about it on here before.
    Replay was situated near the bus station and you had to cross “Turbo Island" to get to it!! When it was based downstairs in the underpass in the late 80’s the Hip Hop was mixed in with all the Punk, Ska, Indie etc. Again, picked so many gems from there. First time I heard the first Tuff Crew album was when it was playing in the shop and blew my teenage mind! It moved upstairs in the early 90’s when it became Replay Dance. Copped from memory CL & Pete Rock – ‘All Souled Out’ EP on release with sticker, Taalam – ‘It’s A Political Thing 12” (Pic cover), King Tee - ‘Act A Fool’ and the Roughouse Orchestra album mint for a quid in the sale section!

Honrable mention to Backyard Records, Imperial, Rooted, Revolver, Eat the Beat, Giant (Bristol) Mr Bongo, Rarekind, bluebird. Massive props to Wanted Records (John Stapleton, Bristol) for still going strong!Long live the record shop
    Last edited by Dr NO; 22-07-19 at 07:11 PM. Reason: More shops added!

DWG Warrior
    Street Dance, Copenhagen, 1986-1999 - First real US import spot I knew in my country. The service was obnoxious, but ordered many classics at the time of release from their photocopied mailorder catalogue.

TSL, NYC, 1999-2008 - The main spot for filling holes in the rap collection. Traded a few Shubidua breakz for raer.

The stamp shop in my hometown, Fredericia, circa 1987-1989 - Had about 6 rows of old records. Ras and I chanced on all the soul and funk records and got some of our basic education in funk and breaks from here.

Honorable mention : Lots of random places visited during travels that had joints, like FNAC in Paris, WOM in Nürnberg, the sidestreets off La Rambla in Barcelona and many more, and the closed, forgotten old school spots...

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by record-sniffer View Post
    Jays Cambridge
    Mr Bongos
    Got the bodysnatchers white label from jays (did it become assassin or did i imagine that? pretty sure they were both in cambridge anyway) mail order out of hhc & chicago art ensemble - theme de yo yo after hearing it on primal scream's breezeblock mix on mary anne hobbs from mr bongos so those 2 rate highly. Locally 1-Up was the spot in Aberdeen where i remember getting the hijack 12"s when they came back as mr pink & mr blonde & all the icepick stuff, kinetic effect etc

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by record-sniffer View Post
    Jays Cambridge (the bulk of my collection comes from this shop.

Groove Records (always loved going to Groove, also picked up some great records in there)

Mr Bongos (from the mid 90s to mid 200s this shop was unrivaled, great staff and would also get the records the others couldnt get)
    Good choices, mine would probably be the same

Soul Cellar in Reading
    Classic Vibes in Reading

These were my two 'lunch money' spots

Third would be tough... far too many great ones to mention but Big City would probably be up there and some of the Japanese stores are incredible...

DWG Warrior
    Amoeba - Los Angeles - Just for the sheer size of the store and the selection they had.

5th Element - Minneapolis - One of the few remaining hip hop only shops left in the USA. They always had whatever was new and some great back stock.

Fat Beats - New York - This is the greatest shop that I have even been in. Wall to Wall vinyl. When I bought a bunch of music the guy working at the til dropped a free Roc Raida mixtape in my bag. Can you ask for anything more?