Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Really Good Records (Plymouth): Crazy records have passed though there over the years (and pre-discogs the prices were very very good).
    Out of town/big name DJs would often drop in and be blown away by the stock and knowledge of the proprietor, I think I remember Format saying its his favorite record shop in an interview. It really was a world class shop.
    Whilst the shop is still there and OK, it changed ownership in the last year and whilst the glory days are gone its still worth checking if in town.

Manhattan Records (Shibuya)): The shop is still there but its the period around 1997-2000 it was the craziest, and it was all about the breaks section. From dollor bin drumbreaks (price up to non dollar bin prices) to the grails of the time like Axelrod and Tom Scott (the one with Yesterday) it was nuts. Id spend hours looking though the racks and reading the information stickers attacked to the records, they were in Japanese but some words like Drums, Breaks, DJ, Sample were written in English.
    The shop really did go down the shitter after 2000 and its a miracle its survived, I saw some clips on Instagram from there recently though and it looks like it might be on the come up again.

HMV (Shibuya): Only 5 years old and probably as good as a record store can be in 2019. Its nothing like HMV as most of us probably know HMV. Its more like a giant boutique record store, they get DJS to curate sections, when it first opened Muro sold 100s (maybe 1000s) of his records there. And last time I went someone in the avant garde world had curated a section.I cant wait to get back there.

DWG Warrior
    Misspent youth 1990’s:
    Bongos - London
    OG Underground Solushn (under the bondage/ head shop) - Edinburgh
    OG Play De Record (with the old Chinese guy) - Toronto

More recent:
    Blue Vinyl - Tapiola Espoo Finland - this will be in my local mall in about 6 weeks
    Good Records - NYC - could have picked a few from my trips but this was always the most consistent, eclectic and friendlier. Also less boutique digguer. It still had an edge and proper dollar bins.
    Pure Soul - Hamburg - Killer store with very friendly service. Also not too boutique.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Fat Beats the first store where you had to go downstairs to get records in Manhatten. Love going in there seeing all the records jam-packed in one small shop with all the stickers all over the wall. Always came out with crazy records and mixtapes. This was my spot to go to first when I was in NYC

Beat Street Records in Brooklyn- This was the 2nd stop as they usually had all the bootleg records and a crazy mixtape selection on the wall.

Music Liberated Baltimore City - The hometown spot for me when it came for records. Everyone in Baltimore, Maryland, and DC came here for their music. This was the spot I got schooled on when it came time for music. They had an old Jewish guy Bernie who owned the store, but he knew his music. He would always have a box of mixtapes as they were not allowed to sell mixtapes in the Store so he would be like you want to see what I got to me. He would always tell the DJ to play all kinds of records they know I would end up buying. He ran Baltimore city when there were like four record stores in the city. DJ Technics also worked there an ex DMC DJ. Bernie passed away in a car wreck I think in 99, and they closed the store down after that. That is when vinyl started to stop in Baltimore City.

Hon Mention. 12 inch Dance Records Washington DC which was above a Subway sandwich store. Rock And Soul Manhatten another store which was basically a store that sold electronics but you could always find records in there.

DWG Warrior
    This is tough but im going for

1 - Carnival Records,Parkstone,Poole - was the first shop i really started buying records from around 85 as it was in the area i lived,bought many imports from there over the years and the owner Maureen (R.I.P) would save me stuff she thought i would like.

2- Reckless Records ,Berwick Street ,London- one of my best mates lived just round the corner in the Centrepoint building whilst learning to be a chef ,so if i went up there to visit,i would go straight in Reckless,they had incredible selection in the late 80s,early 90s and its still a go to spot now,although the selection generally isnt as good, and i nearly always leave with something

3- Rarekind Records,Brighton- Love this shop,always tons of stuff to buy in there,and i try and get there as much as i can despite living in Poole,there is not a shop anywhere near me that is as good.

Honourable mentions to Groove,Hitman,Red Records and Mr Bongo,all of whom ive bought many records from over the years....
    Last edited by bigfatolly; 22-07-19 at 08:56 PM.

DWG Warrior
    HandSpun when it was downstairs from Dark N Cold on D'Arblay Street - tiny place but I copped so many great records here between 94-96 when I first started going into London regularly and buying imports. Soho in that era was incredible for record shops - so many in such a small area: Blackmarket, Wild Pytch, Uptown, Reckless, MVE, Bongo, Unity, Sister Ray and then the big HMV and Virgin over the road on Oxford St.

Rock & Soul in NYC - went crazy in here on my first trip to NY in 2003, and again the following year. Records that would set you back £7.99 in London were $4.99 and the bootlegs of classics and raers were ridiculous.

Ben's Collectors in Guildford. My local 2nd hand spot. Been going here since I was at school. Dirt cheap and you never know what you might find.

MVE in Notting Hill - when they had the basement where everything was 50p (and even 20p at one point). Some great pick ups in here in the 00s, particularly when Serato came out and DJs were getting rid of their collections.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfatolly View Post

Honourable mentions to Groove,Hitman,Red Records and Mr Bongo,all of whom ive bought many records from over the years....
    Red Records up from Clapham Junction station? That was my local shop for a year or so.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    I know I'm on the younger side here, definitely a bit later to the game, but...

HMV (Shibuya) blew my mind in 2018. (Besides the obvious one's, Bootsy's in Kyoto was the sleeper pick of my Japan trip.)
    Superfly in Paris is up there for best places I've been. I regret not having been better prepared.
    I only caught the very end of Big City but even then it was great.
    A-1 in Manhattan is probably a shell of what it once was but it's still an obvious go-to for me.
    Val Shively's in Upper Darby (basically in Philly) has a unique charm that fits the bill as well.

DWG Warrior
    Also very fond memories of..

Flashback Records in Cambridge- not the London chain but a second hand shop that was around for short while in the very early 90ís. The owner lent me some reggae albums that are my favourites to this day and I got a lot of great dub albums from there (esp. anything with Scientist).

Rough Trade Talbot Road- late 90ís. Worked around the corner and it was only a bus ride from where I lived. A time when I was buying stuff outside of the official pillar approved genres.

MVE- Goldhawk Road/Uxbridge Road- mid 90ís. Two shops right near to each other and a stones throws from my in-laws where I lived for a bit. Great for really cheap randoms (a few quid or 20p). Got a lot of great stuff here (Taking Your Business, Sir Ibu, Divine Force) and probably missed a load too.

DWG Warrior
    Great thread and tough decision. I settled on these:-

Purple Penguin in Bristol (RIP): As Dr no has already posted it was an incredible shop and my fav ever not just for records but for it's legacy. Back then they had everything in the racks from new release Hip Hop including indy stuff that might be hard to find elsewhere but also sales bins were always stocked and the soul, funk, Brazilian, etc... sections always had heat to offer. Aside from that it's the place where I met a lot of Bristol's Hip Hop elites that since became long time friends with. Also, it's naturally where I met Ben Dubuisson the owner whom is also producer of Hundred Strong who I ended up joining as DJ back in around 2004. An amusing story - in Mr Bongo's back in the day with Canns and we were asked "why come to London from Bristol? You have Purple Penguin!" which says it all.

Amoeba San Francisco: for sheer size and it's reputation. Spent about 5 hours there back in 2010 so way after the golden age and had by then been rinsed by the locals but still managed to come away with about 60 records. Did really well in the dollar bins scoring such things as a Finesse S.K.I.T.S promo and a ton of breaks. One of those spots all digger need to visit at some point in their life.

Big City NYC (RIP): Absolutely incredible shop and glad to have been able to visit before it closed. Spent a portion of my honeymoon in there and came away with a nice bag of treats.

Notable mentions: Rarekind - easily one of the best shops in the world now, Wanted Records in Bristol as 2 shops that are still great even now there's Discogs.

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    Physical shops wise, My faves were:

KTwo records In Chatham during the 80's they used to have untold and at the time Unknown Imports galore, It's a Shame I didn't realise and and didn't have the money to buy them, They shut around 89.

OUR PRICE in Bournemouth, I used to go to Salisbury to visit my wife's nan regularly, so while there I would hop on the Bus to go Bournemouth, upstairs they had a Great US Hip Hop section.

Richards Records (Maidstone, Canterbury & Ashford) this shop was my main staple through the late 80's to around 95/6 when they shut, the annoying thing was I bought Loads of Tapes then, so am now exchanging them for Vinyl.

Mail Order:

Beat Street Records Oxon, This needs no words, we all Know how legendary they were with there lists

Liberty Groove, London I would call them weekly to always get the latest UK & US releases, especially when I received their lists

Assassin Records, early 90's mail order, which had great sales, like all the Cold Chillin' releases for £4