Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7th Heaven

DWG Warrior

7th Heaven

Some of us have been shitting on 7"s here recently, and rightly so - the format is now just snake oil raer vinylz collector bait for idiots and trainspotters.

But let's use this thread to hark back to the days when 7"s were a great, useful format. What I'm particularly interested in here is songs that bang hardest in their 7" edit. All genres and all eras welcome.

The Sugar Hill Gang - Rapper's Delight

Couldn't give a shit about Grandmaster Caz-gate, Rapper's Delight is an amazing song in its 7" radio edit.

808 State - Pacific 707

There must be at least 12 different mixes of Pacific, but I reckon the 7"/video Pacific 707 version is the best.

DWG Warrior
    Glory - Let's Get Nice

Vocoder-funk from Arthur Baker & the Jonzun brothers. Sux that the 7" is so rare because the 45 edit knocks way harder than the easy to find 12" version.

Gen X - Dancing With Myself

Sod the later rerecorded Billy Idol solo version of this, the 1980 Gen X 7" version with Steve Jones on guitar is way better.

DWG Warrior
    Spoonie Gee - Street Girl

I fux with the 12" version of this, but I'll concede that the shortened 7" version gets the point faster.

James Brown - Papa Don't Take No Mess Part 1

LP version of this is way too long, thus the 7" is so necessary. Love the fake-live intro on the 7" version too.

DWG Warrior
    Most De La Soul 7s have loud cuts of the album versions, unlike the 12s with the awful cj or chad remixes
    aka DJ JUST-1............. "So what you on, huh, dope or dog food?"

DWG Warrior
    A break will always sound harder and louder on a 45 than an LP if it didn't get a Disco 12" pressing.

There are quite a lot of 7"s of UBB style breakbeat tracks that omit the break part completely or make it really short.

However if you can find pressings from other obscure countries like Turkey, Israel or Brazil they will often have the full album mix with breakbeat intact. (I'm not giving up any names)
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    re the 808 State thing, I'd say that the edited version being better applies to pretty much all house-y type things*. You only really need the 12" version for DJing with. If you're bumping it in the car then 3-4 mins is sufficient, and its for that reason I've been picking up cheap 90s dance compilations on CD. My missus isn't wanting to listen to 2 minutes of drums on the intro and outro of everything.

*There's obviously some exceptions to this, Strings Of Life being the main one.

DWG Warrior
    + various Larry Heard songs, natch.

That's a good point, though. House and Techno really shoulda been 7" genres not 12" ones.

DWG Warrior
    What?

You can't mix House and Techno properly on a 7"!
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Oh sod mixing haha. 7"s would just stop House and Techno producers from making self-indulgent 8 minute songs.

DWG Warrior
    The J.B's - Crossover

Truthfully, I've never heard the LP version of this but I can't believe it's as tight as the 7" version here. As used in some of the dance contests on James Brown's Future Shock TV show.