Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thinking about it I'm surprised Primo doesn't have a load of previously unreleased Gangstarr material he could release.
    They were together for years, surely they must have had some tracks they recorded and scrapped that whilst might not have been considered good enough at the time would probably be better than these cobbled together 2019 efforts.
    I accept what I have just written is pure speculation and wishful thinking.

DWG Warrior
    ^^^ I reckon they probably haven't because they came from the era of just recording the songs you need to fill an album, 12" single, soundtrack placement. Maybe there's the odd track which got shut down by sample clearance tho?

DWG Warrior
    Album is out, lets see...

DWG Warrior
    It’s up on You Tube now.

On first listen, I’d say it’s pretty consistent with a couple of stand out tracks (e.g. Take Flight).

Definitely a worthy addition to the catalogue.

I’ll be getting it in physical format.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Disc_Eater View Post
    It’s up on You Tube now.

On first listen, I’d say it’s pretty consistent with a couple of stand out tracks (e.g. Take Flight).

Definitely a worthy addition to the catalogue.

I’ll be getting it in physical format.
    yeah, agree with the above, the tracks are generally short but production is solid, the stand out for me is the track with Jeru.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    ^^^ I reckon they probably haven't because they came from the era of just recording the songs you need to fill an album, 12" single, soundtrack placement. Maybe there's the odd track which got shut down by sample clearance tho?
    You think about Doe In Advance maybe? That one with the Ohio Players sample. Released w/o the sample in the Japan version of Hard To Earn from memory.
    Anyone knows if Preemo or Guru talked about it in some interviews? Always wanted to know the story behind this ~'93 song.

Quote Originally Posted by raredave View Post
    The bit where 'Premier' is mentioned is odd, who was named originally?
    Yep I thought the same, it feels like it was edited.

For this new Gang Starr album, it was totally unexpected so I'll take it as it is and happy to get these bonus.
    Still not bored by Preem and his way to shop samples, always a pleasure to hear a new beat from him.
    Only heard the first 2 tracks. The beats are solid and it feels good to hear Guru on it. I will buy it digitally then CD and vinyl probably.
    I've listened to Loyalty & Family on repeat for 2 or 3 days when it cames out, it was so emotional.

DWG Warrior
    ^^ Yeah. The O.G Doe In Advance later got an official Gang Starr Foundation release on that Big Shug 12" innit. I reckon if there were any more unreleased Gang Starr tracks in the vaults then Primo woulda released them by now, especially with the lucrative market for boutique raer vinylz these days.

The fact he had to buy a bunch of unreleased Guru acapellas from his arch-nemesis Solar to put this new album together indicates to me that he definitely HASN'T got any shelved Gang Starr material.

DWG Warrior
    i'm not sure that the Doe On Advance on that Jig Is Up 12" is official because it sounds like shit. Never really noticed until I went to mp3 it a while back and it's pretty bad.

Listened to the new album earlier. Pretty enjoyable stuff if you're hearing new music by your favourite group for the first time in 16 years. Couple of verses I'd heard before, not keen on that track with Nitty Scott and was a bit disappointed with Q Tip's contribution (WTF is he doing?!) but all in all it's decent.

DWG Warrior

I watched some of this. Out of curiosity I pulled up the Mac Miller/Premo joint 'Face The Facts'. I do not recommend it.

Also, Rosenberg is still a tool. On this occasion he thinks Premier produced all of Return Of The Boom Bap.
    Last edited by step one; 01-11-19 at 04:31 PM.

DWG Warrior
    A New Report Details How DJ Premier Rescued Guruís Lost Recordings

https://ambrosiaforheads.com/2019/10...er-guru-solar/