Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    Iím going to quote from a thread on another forum that caused a meltdown but I agree 110% with. My friends that I have radio show with and I also had a discussion and came to the exact same conclusion.

no doubt he's a legend and RIP but have we come a safe enough distance to say guru was never a good rapper? most gang starr is cringey af

livin proof is easily better than any gang starr album

as as for that new song itís garbage and sounds like a mixtape blend. Guruís half arsed verse doesnít even go with the beat properly. Let the man rest ffs
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Vocals from the chorus work, the rest sounds distant & off.

Strange..

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Disaster View Post
    Iím going to quote from a thread on another forum that caused a meltdown but I agree 110% with. My friends that I have radio show with and I also had a discussion and came to the exact same conclusion.

no doubt he's a legend and RIP but have we come a safe enough distance to say guru was never a good rapper? most gang starr is cringey af

livin proof is easily better than any gang starr album

as as for that new song itís garbage and sounds like a mixtape blend. Guruís half arsed verse doesnít even go with the beat properly. Let the man rest ffs
    Guru isn't a good rapper and Gang Starr are cringe? You still drunk from last night m80?

I know everyone loves the Group Home album but lets not getcarried away and pretend thereís anything on there thatís mind blowing in termsof the rapping.

DWG Warrior
    I like the beat and it's nice to hear Guru rapping. That's as much as I could've hoped for considering he's very much dead and Premier's beats for the last 10 years or so have been mostly rubbish.

I have zero interest in 99% of newly released rap so my expectations were not high.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    I have zero interest in 99% of newly released rap so my expectations were not high.
    My thoughts exactly and I concur with bob, although I have all the Gang Starr albums I think full clip is good enough for me (call me a heathen if you will.
    "I have no idea what hammer time is, or how it differs from regular time" - Dexter Morgan.

https://www.instagram.com/junorpaul/?hl=en

DWG Warrior
    Guru was certainly a better rapper and less cringey than El-P or either of the Cannibal Oxlade-Chamberlain guys, Bob

DWG Warrior
    GangStarrís strength like many groups came in the combination of two talents, both of whom can individually represent themselves artfully but the result nowhere near what they would create working together.
    However this project isnít the best that union can produce most likely due to one member being dead and the tracks being put together with vocals that were either unfinished or rejected at the time. I donít think I can think of a single dead artist LP that has came near to their living output no matter how carefully produced.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial_Mao View Post
    I don’t think I can think of a single dead artist LP that has came near to their living output no matter how carefully produced.
    I can't think of any stitched-together posthumous albums that I really like, but there's a couple of great albums (imho) that are posthumous in the sense that were recorded while in the artist was still alive but then released after the artist's unexpected death:

Biggie's Life After Death and Joy Division's Closer.

DWG Warrior
    Thinking about it, I'd probably rank The Big Picture as equal with Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous in terms of quality: both patchy albums with some killer songs.
    Last edited by BB; 20-09-19 at 12:43 PM.

DWG Warrior
    Given the era he came out in Guru is pretty versatile and can dothe brag raps, storytelling, personal introspective shit, ladies joints orwhatever. He might not be doing Black Thought type syllable frenzies or mad illiodic multis packed with punchlines but he’s definitely got his own style anda lot more classics than most under his belt.