Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    Gangstarr have to be the most sampled hip hop group in history.

DWG Warrior
    ^^^ Hmmm, dunno about that. Would imagine Eric B. & Rakim, NWA, and Mobb Deep have been sampled way more.

Shit, Pete Rock alone has probably sampled EPMD more times than Gang Starr have been sampled haha.

DWG Warrior
    Ok, 4th most.. still a sh*t tonne

eric b & rakim about 1300
    nwa about 1100
    mobb deep about 800
    gangstarr about 700

DWG Warrior
    I quoted someone that's not my words, I love Gang Starr up to Hard To Earn but they were treading water after that. Hearing a posthumous record from them is not something that interests me in the slightest.

I'm agreeing that Guru was bang average as a rapper though and his lyrical output was generally corny. Without Premiers sonic genius would anyone actually buy a Guru solo record? Jazzmataz was an abomination and the terds he made with that weird cult leader Solar are even worse.

That goes for Jeru the Damaja, Big Shug and Group Home as well though. I'm spotting a pattern here, Primo likes shite emcees.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    You can apply the "would x be any good without y" train of thought to pretty much any artist though. It's dumb.

Does the rapping/writing on Just To Get A Rep, Mass Appeal, Code Of The Streets, Who's Gonna Take the Weight etc really sound average to you?

This new track sounds OK to me.
    Its a Primo-by-numbers beat, a perfectly average Guru verse, and a guest verse by someone I have no interest in.
    I'm playing it now as I type this but doubt I'll ever listen to it again.

As for Guru on the first album No More Mr Nice Guy I thought he was OK but I don't remember anyone raving about him or the album in general (apart from Jazz Music, people loved that one).

Then the second album came Step In The Arena and Guru came with it, fucking amazing, I thought he was the best in the biz at that time and Id probably say that I thought Primo's production on that album was as good as it got also. An amazing album, a masterclass in rap music and in Guru's words "33 rpm's displays the art of men".

Two years latter we get Daily Operation and this was the start of Guru slipping, in a Source or HHC interview he said how he is "dumbing down his lyrics as they were going over peoples heads" (or words to that effect). And this was a shame, I still love Daily Operation but in the mans own words he dumbed down. The Beats are great but I preferred those on the previous album.

So on to Hard To Earn in 93, and from this point on I found Guru to be uninspiring and a bit of a bore.

Primo though went one break ground developing his much copied style of sample chopping, before becoming a bore.

its a nice enough beat... good to hear Guru, J Cole doesn't really add anything... god only knows what other tracks will be put out.

where are the vocals from... sounds a bit Baldhead Slick-ish? The bit where 'Premier' is mentioned is odd, who was named originally?

Agree with the comments above that Guru was probably at his lyrical peak on 'Step In the Arena'... but hes still got plenty of classic tunes after this era, and his Jazzmattazz project was solid

I know all the Gang Starr albums well apart from Ownerz, and rate them highly.

Never thought I'd see a bunch of rap guys collectively going "well, actually..." about Gang Starr of all groups in my lifetime

DWG Warrior
    It’s okay, but maybe a bit too long and spun out - considering most of the best Gangstarr tracks barely exceeded 3 minutes.

Hope the rest of the tracks are a bit leaner…….

PS I thought J Cole's verse was alright.