Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Sittin On Chrome definitely... Slaughtahouse is one of my all time favs so was always going to be a hard act to follow for me...

DWG Warrior
    All this talk of the J-Rock album recently, well I have to plonk it right here.....

Never heard it when it came out but noted the buying frenzy 10 or so years ago.

The lyrics are super simplistic.

The beats ain't nothing clever, for 1991 - if anything, they are more 1989.

Don't care if it's got Premier on it.....he did better beats in 1991.

Great cover though!

DWG Warrior
    I think that’s the charm, it’s a regional obscurity with Premier when he was still learning and fresh from Houston Texas.

Poughkeepsie might as well be Omaha Nebraska to most dudes from the 5 boroughs.

Cool backstory with the drug dealer funding it all as well.

I like it and it’s a very DWG friendly record.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by djshaker View Post
    Sittin On Chrome definitely... Slaughtahouse is one of my all time favs so was always going to be a hard act to follow for me...

This.

DWG Warrior
    There arent many albums that are consistent throughout,so most rap lps will be a disapointment if you arent prepared to skip a few tracks.
    Generally i find the third album of any artist starts to fall off,but then some artists set high standards,like say Public Enemy,i have not listened to "Fear of a Black Planet" as much as i have the first two albums,which are bona fide classics.
    I remember being disapointed in Ultras "Funk Your Head Up" as it sounded nothing like the demos we had all heard on Westwood.
    Ditto the Hijack album,was not as hard as the demos,although they did re release it a few years later with the original mixes.
    Here are a few off the top of my head i can remember being indifferent to

Son of Bazerk LP-Doubt i have listened to it 5 times,but might revisit it.
    Run DMC -Back From Hell -they tried to move with the times but it didnt work
    Digital Underground Second Album
    Jungle Brothers third album-just weird,again i doubt i have listened to it 5 times
    Pete Nice and Daddy Rich- not as good without Serch

I can honestly say i have never been disapointed by anything by Pete Rock and CL Smooth,Gang Starr(that includes "The Ownerz",and Eric B and Rakim .

Quote Originally Posted by bigfatolly View Post

Son of Bazerk LP-Doubt i have listened to it 5 times,but might revisit it.
    Run DMC -Back From Hell -they tried to move with the times but it didnt work
    Digital Underground Second Album
    Jungle Brothers third album-just weird,again i doubt i have listened to it 5 times
    Pete Nice and Daddy Rich- not as good without Serch
    Interesting list, my thoughts on these (as I wait for my meal to cook).

Son of Bazerk LP- Really good album that I should probably play more.

Run DMC -Back From Hell - It didn't work as you say they tired to keep up with the times. I think Down With The King was an absolute disaster also but I think they won some people back with that album (or the single anyway).

Digital Underground Second Album: Was thinking about that album the other day, I was also disappointed in it, I didn't even bother to tape it of one of my fiends who had it.

Jungle Brothers third album- The good bits are really good, the abstact bits I just skip.

Pete Nice and Daddy Rich- Love this album, I think they did a great job (as did Serch with his solo).

I was also playing some Hijack today and remembered being disappointed with the album, Ive probably not heard it since it first dropped(I don't own it, I remember it being hard to get hold of?). Also I wasn't aware there were different mixes of it?

DWG Warrior
    Son of Bazerk album is incredible. Peak Bomb Squad.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by francois parker View Post
    I was also playing some Hijack today and remembered being disappointed with the album, Ive probably not heard it since it first dropped(I don't own it, I remember it being hard to get hold of?). Also I wasn't aware there were different mixes of it?
    Yeah there's the version with Shogun's Assassin & Murder In The 1st Degree on it

DWG Warrior

They self released it on Reservoir Records late 90s i think,goes for quite a bit of loot now though....

Actually had a listen to Son of Bazerk,much better than i remember,i will have to play it more...

DWG Contributor
    Gucci Crew II - G4