Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

albums that really disappointed you.

Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
    I remember this well as I really thought Mos Def was the man to save hip hop, I cant remember why I thought hip hop needed saving but I remember thinking Mos Def was the man to do it. And whilst its got some OK tracks on it on the whole I thought it was poor, and I fucking hated the Ms Fat Booty track and it was played at every hip hop night I went to for years.

Snoop Doggy Dog - Doggy Style
    Im playing the album right now as I type this and it sounds just fine to me, but at the time I was massively disappointed by this album, maybe my expectations were too high. I hated the single though (Who Am I) still hate it now.

Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold
    I was in total Atmosphere fan boy mode and then this dropped, I was massively disappointed , their sound changed a lot they moved from sampled based stuff to having a go at making their own music, I though the results were poor.

DWG Warrior
    Black On Both Sides was indeed a bit disappointing

I want to add:

D.I.T.C. - D.I.T.C. / The Official Version

DWG Warrior
    Inspectah Deck ‎– Uncontrolled Substance
    Wu-Tang Clan - The W
    Raekwon ‎– Immobilarity
    Kurupt - Kuruption

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunkie View Post

D.I.T.C. - D.I.T.C. / The Official Version
    I bought in whilst on holiday in Paris, got back home all excited to play it and damn what a turd it was, so disappointing.

DWG Warrior
    Wu Tang Forever

Wack on Both Sides

Definitely don't hate the DITC album, just so much had already been out on 12"s and with better mixes, just checked it and the Premo mix of Ebonics is awful compared to the OG as are a load of the other mixes, definitely disappointing!
    Last edited by Cro; 04-10-19 at 10:02 AM.

DWG Warrior
    There‘s lots of albums, but for example:

Wu-Tang Clan - The W + most of the stuff which came after (incl. solo and affiliated)
    Mobb Deep - Murder Music + most of the stuff after
    Redman - Docs Da Name + most of the stuff after
    A Tribe Called Quest - The Love Movement
    Nas - It Was Written
    Gang Starr - The Ownerz

List could go on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by top-notch-records View Post
    Nas - It Was Written

Oh yeah, that was a massive disappointment, from Illmatic to that turd!

DWG Warrior
    +1 for Uncontrolled Substance & It Was Written obviously

Ice T - Home Invasion - felt like he was trying too hard after the Bodycount saga and the beats weren't great
    PE - Music In Our Message (or whatever it is)
    Dr Dre - Compton - shite
    Premier & Royce - PRhyme - just a bit dry and dull
    Jay Z - American Gangster, Kingdom Come & Blueprint 3 (and then I just gave up)
    Jadakiss - all of them tbh but still one of my favourite rappers
    Dogg Pound -Dogg Food - terrible title, rubbish cover art, not may good songs

DWG Warrior
    Portishead third album.

To me It sounds like a rough draft of what could be an amazing album but totally lacks the incredible attention to detail and meticulous production / song writing / sound design craft of the first two lps

it actually upsets me to listen to it because I hold the artists in such high regard I feel like they just didn’t do it justice

It really confuses me how it received such rave reviews . Maybe I just don’t get it. I’m willing to give it another go but I think I might need instructions on how to appreciate it at this stage lol

DWG Warrior
    I think maybe there’s a bit of a pattern here , seems like lots of people feel let down when a favourite artists makes a change in direction which for some reason doesn’t tally with their debut / legacy (with the exception of FP's initial reaction to snoop's album)

can anyone give examples of artists who have progressively improved / become more of a favorite over time and never fell off? Or do ya think every dog has his day
    Last edited by theblend; 04-10-19 at 11:52 AM.