Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by theblend View Post
    I think maybe there’s a bit of a pattern here , seems like lots of people feel let down when a favourite artists makes a change in direction which for some reason doesn’t tally with their debut / legacy (with the exception of FP's initial reaction to snoop's album)

can anyone give examples of artists who have progressively improved / become more of a favorite over time and never fell off? Or do ya think every dog has his day
    I tend to think most artists first and maybe second LP’s tend to be their best as they have often spent years practising and writing a lot of tracks, thus they are sharp and can pick the best of their catalog to put together an album.
    Further on their LP’s tend to be more frequent so have less of a catalog to choose from and often the circumstances of their life have changed due to their success which in turn can impact on their creative process and sound making them less “hungry” which in turn is reflected in the music they create.

Quote Originally Posted by francois parker View Post
    Oh yeah, that was a massive disappointment, from Illmatic to that turd!
    It Was Written is a dope album!

DWG Warrior
    III Most Wanted - III Most Wanted

After being blown away by the ‘Calm Down’ 12” when I first heard it and desperately tried to get a copy (still remains one of my favourite 12’s) I was eagerly anticipating the album. I was delighted to find the album in HMV on a shopping trip to London. I couldn’t wait to get home and play it. Apart from the dope ‘Keep Your Distance’ ‘Lights Out’ and of course ‘Calm Down’ I can remember being so so disappointed especially compared to the classics that dropped in 1989. I still have it in the racks though complete with HMV Import sticker

27F82A74-9219-41D3-9BF6-5AD757273176.jpg

Three Wize Men - ‘G.B. Boyz’

Bought blind because of the dope Artful Dodger sleeve. I couldn’t wait to play it as it just had to be dope! Utter shite! Only remains in the racks because of the cover.

4A2B1877-F349-487A-AFBC-758EB3548F59.jpg

DWG Warrior
    OC - Bon Appetit. How can an entire album with OC on the mic and Buckwild behind the boards be so terrible?
    Ras Kass - Rasassination. Went from hardcore lyricism on Soul on Ice to basically jiggy commercial BS

DWG Warrior
    Dogg Food and Wu-Tang Forever have gotta be my top 2.

DJ Quik is the rare rapper who peaked later in his career. His 3rd and 4th albums are his best.

Then there's Juvenile and UGK who both dropped dodgy debut albums but then got progressively better and better over their second and third albums.
    Last edited by BB; 04-10-19 at 03:33 PM.

Souls Of Mischief: No Man's Land. I remember being gutted on first listen. Re-visited it a few months ago and its much better than I remember but its not even close to 93 'Til Infinity.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawster1976 View Post
    Souls Of Mischief: No Man's Land. I remember being gutted on first listen. Re-visited it a few months ago and its much better than I remember but its not even close to 93 'Til Infinity.
    Casual's He Think He Raw album was a huge disappointment after Fear Itself too (I didn't hear Meanwhile until this decade.) The 2 12"s on Stimulated Records were very dope (except for that Same O.G song), but the album finally dropped and the only good song we hadn't heard before was this:

Casual - Studio D

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by raredave View Post
    Yes it is!!

Diamond D Hatred, Passion... probably my personal most disappointing album of all times since Stunts, Blunts... is one of my favourite

Similar to Show & AG´s Goodfelas. A few good songs but doesn´t come nowhere near Runaway Slave

Quote Originally Posted by raredave View Post
    I just had a flick through it for the first time in a long time and its better than I remember it being.
    At the time of release I found it to be such a disappointment compared to Illmatic and I didn't think Illmatic was as amazing as people make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by theblend View Post
    Portishead third album.
    I honestly think its their best album by a mile.
    Top ten album ever for me.