Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DWG Contributor

Am I being ripped off?- what would you do?

Hi All,

I could do with your advice/help. I bought 4 records from a Canadian seller on discogs which were all described as NM/NM- however they arrived none were in that condition. VG+ at best (all covers scuffed/dirty and records covered in scratches and finger prints).

I paid a lot in postage too - $56 - maybe that was a bit high and I should of seen this coming or not? Anyway I contacted him about the condition of the records and he offered me some money back to keep them ($30 - I paid $116 in total with postage). I don't have any use for battered records and so I've declined and want a refund but he seems to be saying that he wont refund the postage, so only refund me $60 and again it seems (although I'm not totally clear) that he is expecting me to pay the postage of sending back as well. He also won't refund me til he gets the records back. This all seems a bit unfair as I paid him upfront with no question,

So is it fair/right that I can't have a refund until he gets the records back and is it fair that I have to foot all the postage costs even though it is his fault as the records aren't as described? What would you do?

Thank you in advance for your advice

D
    Marching across this war-torn land, Liberty Grooves is here to bruise the bland...

www.facebook.com/solidnmindrap

www.whirlwindd.bandcamp.com

www.kanefm.com

DWG Warrior
    His fault for incorrectly grading, sounds like you'll need to go the pay pal / discogs complaint route but no idea how they are on p&p refunds, have you sent the seller pictures / audio of the records?

Or send J$ round

DWG Warrior
    Some sellers own up to their mistakes and will take care of the situations, and then there's sellers like the one you're dealing with. If a seller make a mistake, he should pay for the damages.

PayPal has a service/policy for returning items and the postage costs. Haven't used that yet, so I can't tell you how it works and if you qualify but you might want to check it out (if you used PayPal to pay).

DWG Warrior
    I've had a couple of these situations throughout the years. I always give the seller some time to come up with a satisfying solution, but if they don't come up with one I take it to PayPal and file a claim immediately. With enough proof of the seller's wrong doing (pictures, audio files, correspondence) PayPal will rule in your favor most of the times.

DWG Warrior
    I've been in this position before, and it sucks when its a US seller and the postage cost is so high now (I found myself in this situation with a certain Los Angles based "lady" seller some years ago, and never repeat purchased from them again).

Have a look at this link - I've not used this service before (and in fact never heard of it before) but it might be a way to get some of your postage cost back >>>> https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

Good luck.

DWG Warrior
    International shipping from Canada is notoriously expensive, $56 is probably correct or close enough.

Regarding a refund: It all depends on the payment route you followed, really. Was it via PayPal? If so, you're covered - both original payment and return shipping (up to 15 though). Let us know and I might have more advice on what to do.

Hope everything turns out well eventually, Discogs overgraders has become a plague that needs to be dealt with.

DWG Warrior
    This is further proof that there's really only 2 grades on Discogs, Sealed (mint) and NM.

Record has a chipped run in, there's a dirty boot print on the grooves, warped to hell, but it's not sealed, so it's gotta be NM.

I had the same experience with a Canadian seller...it's a difficult situation since i don't think you will be covered by PayPal unless you have added that service pre ordering the records?

I only use around 5 sellers today due to this happening way too often on Discogs/eBay...

Hope this solves out in a good way for you!

DWG Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by musicdigger View Post
    I had the same experience with a Canadian seller...it's a difficult situation since i don't think you will be covered by PayPal unless you have added that service pre ordering the records?

I only use around 5 sellers today due to this happening way too often on Discogs/eBay...

Hope this solves out in a good way for you!
    Thank you! Yea shame that....live and learn I guess. Might even be the same seller lol!
    Marching across this war-torn land, Liberty Grooves is here to bruise the bland...

www.kanefm.com

DWG Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by rchecka View Post
    This is further proof that there's really only 2 grades on Discogs, Sealed (mint) and NM.

Record has a chipped run in, there's a dirty boot print on the grooves, warped to hell, but it's not sealed, so it's gotta be NM.
    lols - couldn't agree more!!

www.kanefm.com