Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question - best record cleaners / fluid / kits available?

any recommendations?

cheers

RD

DWG Warrior
    I've been using the Okki Nokki for about a year now and am quite pleased with it. Can't compare it to anything else, as this is the first record cleaner I've used.

DWG Warrior
    I got a Knosti Disco-Antistat a couple of years ago & it works a treat.

Cleaned up a crackly old japanese jazz record & sounded like new afterwards, def recommended.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoov View Post
    I've been using the Okki Nokki for about a year now and am quite pleased with it. Can't compare it to anything else, as this is the first record cleaner I've used.

I'd really like one of these. Out of my price range though.

useful stuff... thanks dudes.

anyone else feel free to add on!

DWG Warrior
    I looked into record cleaning on and off for awhile now. The best method is to use a vacuum-based system, since it removes the dirty cleaning solution residue from the vinyl, and manages to suck in dirt from deep down in the grooves. The only problem is that I found all these vacuum systems were super-expensive & out of my price range, until I came across this:

https://www.squeakycleanvinyl.com/

It's basically a DIY vacuum system that uses your own shop-vac. I paid roughly $165 CDN for it (he's located near Toronto). I got it a few months ago, but I still haven't had the time to use it yet, as I've been so busy lately. Sometime during the holidays I intend to plow through the stacks of vinyl I have on my floor waiting to be cleaned. He has instructional videos (either on his website, or on youtube) which show how to use the system, and his recommendations for DIY cleaning fluid. I hear the shipping to the UK is kinda pricy, but even if you factor that in, it still comes in much cheaper than other vac systems......might be worth a look

DWG Warrior
    I bought a big bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol and another of Distilled water from Amazon about ten years ago and it’s still going.

i make up my own fluid about 50 50 in a spray bottle , although you could probably use less Alcohol.

Some soft micro fibre cloths from Poundland and Bobs your uncle.

No need for a vacuum cleaner unless you are a dealer imho
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Wood glue cleaning works best. But its time consuming because of the drying process and not reasonable if you have a lot of records...

DWG Warrior
    I was using the method Bob mentioned above for the past years, but I still found that it wouldn't remove all of the surface noise, especially on a record bought 2nd hand where the previous owner didn't handle it with care. The problem with wetting & cleaning with a brush & microfiber cloth is that it moves around some of the dirt, and doesn't fully remove it. It will do a decent job on most records, but if I were to clean a batch of 10 records, there are usually about 2 that still have more noise than I'd like.

Systems like the one Stilts mentioned and the Spin-Clean are a better alternative since they soak the record better, but they still don't get everything out. So it really depends on how picky you are about the sound. Bob's method is the most common & cheapest in cost. Although 2 things to note: 50/50 mixture is too much. The guy who I bought the system from (and others I've talked to) suggest a mixture of 80% distilled water / 20% Isopropyl + 2 drops of Dawn liquid soap as a surfactant (put this into 1 squirt bottle, and then another bottle with just distilled water for a rinse after the initial clean. Also, make sure to find 99% pure isopropyl, as lower percentages have other additives that you don't want as residue.

As Bob said, vac-systems are mostly unnecessary due to cost, but the one I mentioned is so cheap that I think it's the best affordable method.

Also, if you really get crazy into it, there are cleaning solutions like L'Art Du Son which audiophiles prefer over Isopropyl as it's safer for the record (I don't bother going that far though)
    Last edited by djfilthyrich; 07-12-19 at 07:05 AM.

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    I originally had the knosti cleaning machine, which worked really well although you need to play the records a couple of times with around 3gm weight to clean out the residue left by the cleaning fluid, but then the records sound great.
    I then moved onto a Okki Nokki and that does do a better job, although I still play the records through a couple of times to help dig out stubborn grime, and I've had to put some records through a couple of times, the only down point is, if the nut comes loose the records stay put and the mat rubs the vinyl, not good at all.

If you have the money I would say go for a VPI machine as it just purely a vacuum system with no fluid and from what I've heard works wonders.