Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    also, genres die. Ask anyone who used to listen to Happy Hardcore
    Agreed and Happy Hardcore was the genre I was going to give as an example.
    A DJ I know used to be into it, he was telling me about his Happy Hardcore past and I said to him "you never know it might come back like Disco did" he looked at me and said "no, Happy Hardcore is never coming back".

DWG Warrior
    No this take is totally stupid, Happy Hardcore and UK Garage are micro genres in the House and Techno area (stupidly now called EDM).

After Rap and Pop its the biggest music in the planet with billionaire DJ's playing Vegas Arenas.

The spirit of Happy Hardcore is alive and well in things like 1000 Gecs and meme culture. Trendy ironic kids love that shit with the chipmunk voices and neon.

UK Grime and Road Rap / Drill the direct descendants of Garage has Drake making tribute tunes and Stormzy headlining Glastonbury.

Remember Hip House, Latin Freestyle, Horrorcore etc etc? Dead micro genres but Rap is still the biggest selling music on earth.

Vamos is 100% correct in everything he wrote.

If you are so jaded then you should give up. Music isn't for you.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Disaster View Post
    Step one your hot take is terrible. I suggest you burn all your records and go live in a Buddhist retreat without any music.
    it's not a "hot take" because that's something that is the sole preserve of complete cunts begging attention on social media. Like I said, partly devils advocate on my part but if you want to completely disregard the point I was trying to make then that's fine.

Here's something to consider - if you were 14 now would any of this stuff appeal to you?

I've heard the "you just need to dig deep for the good stuff" argument a bazillion times. What that usually means is that these people spend hours trying to find something like sounds vaguely like a DJ Premier beat. It's not the mid-90s. If it was actually good I wouldn't need to look that hard for it.

I could ramble on about this for a while but deaf ears and all that. Not suggesting people shouldn't listen to whatever it is they enjoy, just that I find most new rap music generic, bland or a bit embarrassing for one reason or another. Or just terrible.

DWG Warrior
    Blindboy's not a cunt and that is where I hear that term.

I liked loads of different shit when i was 14, it was 1992 so I was playing the Goats, Heiro, Dinosaur Jr, Pavement, Beastie Boys and Sub Pop / Grunge as well as New York and LA Rap.

Some of that has aged well and some of it is shite to my current ears.

Same as in 2020.

From artists Vamos mentioned that I have heard

Appeal : 03Greedo, Wiki, Earl, Quelle Chris, Sada Baby, Young Thug (he's old now though)

Dont Appeal : Sheck Wes , Pop Smoke (RIP), J Cole , Lil Pump

Out of that list only one that I would call generic, bland or embarrassing would be J Cole.

It's a very varied selection of music.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.