Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    When I said anthem i meant more on the Made You Look / Next Episode / Ante Up tip tbh - shit that got played to death but everybody knew it. Not sure you really get songs like that anymore.
    Haha, I think there are a tonne of anthems like those - we're just too fucking old to know what they are. There was an 18th Birthday Party in a house a few doors down from mine in the Summer and they were playing non-stop Hip Hop and Grime. Certain tracks came on and all the Kids were chanting every word of the raps I had never heard - many of which sounded pretty hard (as in not the Rihanna chorused autotune type of sound). Same at the Festivals - Dave at Glastonbury when he did Thiago Silver being one example - everyone knew all the words! There isn't a kid around that doesn't know all the words to Stormzy's "Shut Up" and in terms of US stuff - drop any Kendrick tune and you'll get a huge reaction - Kendrick being just one easy example.

In terms of my listening habits - reckon I am 50-50 hip hop to non hip hop and closer to 70-30 in favour of new stuff these days. There is so much good music coming out, and having a Spotify account (something I held up as the Antichrist a year or two ago but have finally succumbed to) has actually really helped the whole process of whittling down what I want in my collection and trying before I buy. I rarely part with cash on any wax until it's done multiple plays on my headphones and properly grabbed me - it's saving me a fortune and opening me up to so much decent new music from all genres.
    Last edited by Postie; 07-02-20 at 11:37 AM.
    Postie
    Spines On The Shelves
    http://ukhiphopcratedigger.blogspot.com/

DWG Warrior
    like Postie said, i think that there are plenty of anthems that the younger generation are into, we're just not down like that anymore guys

this one always seems to get the young un's going when i'm at various rap gigs (playing the back cos i'm one of the oldest in the gaff)

DWG Warrior
    Yeah i know there's still big tunes like that heap of shit in the post above but I meant that the type of hip hop "we" listen to - the older artists (I'm not going to call it Real Hip Hop but you know what I mean) don't really come with any anthems any more.

Maybe it's hard for something to reach anthem status when its only available on a ltd edition 1 sided 7"

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    When I said anthem i meant more on the Made You Look / Next Episode / Ante Up tip tbh - shit that got played to death but everybody knew it. Not sure you really get songs like that anymore.
    Even lookin at those 3 artists, the only 2 bigger hits in the UK that Nas had after that were I Can & Bridging The Gap which clearly weren't on the same level. Dre had Bad Intentions which i would put up there on the same level & M.O.P. obviously never had anything else after Ante Up.

I listen to less than 5% new rap only because there is no real new ground to be broken & i'm not excited with what's been overhyped after 2000. It's mostly been all done before.
    No complaints though... I'm happy to have been part of the listening audience of the golden era as it was unfolding. It was a unique era that won't ever be repeated much like Rock & Roll in the 50's.

If something gets unearthed from the 80's golden era that I missed out on I'm more likely to give it a listen out of curiosity (and sometimes even buy it). I'm always looking online for Red Alert / Chuck Chillout / Marley Marl / WBLS / KISS FM tapes that I missed out on)

Other than that, +95% of the stuff I listen to & buy is all that other music I ignored during the golden era (Funk, Jazz, Punk, New Wave (No Wave), R&B and Dub Reggae from the 60's-90's)
    Last edited by Jorun Bombay; 09-02-20 at 12:10 AM.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by manphat View Post
    like Postie said, i think that there are plenty of anthems that the younger generation are into, we're just not down like that anymore guys

this one always seems to get the young un's going when i'm at various rap gigs (playing the back cos i'm one of the oldest in the gaff)

Ha ha, remember that from the Freddie Gibbs gig.....sounded good after a few beers!

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by manphat View Post

I was waiting for the song to kick in. Sounds like something from South Park.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by stilts View Post
    I was waiting for the song to kick in. Sounds like something from South Park.
    Sure he said something about flows, not sure I heard him actually rap?! Call me out of touch / hater all you want, he's just shit lol

DWG Warrior

Last edited by vamosarapiar; 17-02-20 at 04:29 PM.

DWG Warrior
    Easy target but new music being beyond criticism by "old" people is a bit played out. Mo Bamba is both hugely popular and very shit, which is a combination as old and established as pop music itself.