Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    I can't remember if Message II (Survival) is on one of the Electro comps but it definitely should have been if it wasn't.

As should these:

Extra T's - E.T Boogie
    Jonzun Crew - Space Is The Place
    Fearless Four - F4000
    Love Bug Starski - You've Gotta Believe
    Spoonie Gee - Street Girl
    Model 500 - Night Drive (Thru-Babylon)
    Whodini - I'm A Ho
    Egyptian Lover - Freak-A-Holic

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    Model 500 - Night Drive (Thru-Babylon)
    This one is a classic for sure - Juan Atkins was making those records that were right on the edge of the Electro / Techno split from 1981 all the way to 1986. There was a good UK radio interview with him one day back in the day - can't remember when now but probably before 1995.

This Nightdrive record has been repressed many times, like many early "house" records, which makes it very hard to get an O.G. copy after date!

on the pop tip:

DWG Warrior
    There's a handful of 80s Chicago House songs which wouldn't have sounded outta place on the later Electro comps:

Adonis - No Way Back
    Virgo - My Space
    Phuture - Your Only Friend

DWG Warrior
    Loving that Model 500,this is why i created the thread,to learn a bit about a genre i only ever scratched the surface of.

Juan Atkins seems to be a name that crops up a lot ,i always associated his work with Tecno,although i know he produced a few early Electro records before the term Techno was spawned.

Kosmic Light Force is great too,but very pricy !!

DWG Warrior
    ^^^ Juan Atkins is a don. Incredible to think Cybotron - ‘Alleys Of Your Mind’ came out in 1981! So ahead of it’s time and still sounds incredible today..

Model 500 ‘No UFO’s’ ‘Ocean to Ocean’ ‘Nightdrive (Thru Babylon)’ all stone cold classics. Tresor/Metroplex dropped Juan Atkins - ‘20 Years 1985-2005’ compilation back in 2005 which is well worth picking up (Double CD though. As far as I’m aware it never got a vinyl release)
    Last edited by Dr NO; 15-02-20 at 01:15 PM.

DWG Warrior
    Great thread..Another classic record that came out in 1981 that was way ahead of its time, Kraftwerk - ‘Computer World’..Probably my favourite Kraftwerk album. ‘It’s More Fun To Compute’ blew me away when I first heard it and still gives me goosebumps today. Timeless.

A cheeky 45 bootleg of ‘Computer World 2’ came out last year with ‘Numbers (special Bass Mix) on the A side. Nice loud pressing and well worth picking up.
    Last edited by Dr NO; 15-02-20 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Typo

DWG Warrior
    BigFatally - a good Electro mix is Dave Clarke's Electro Boogie. It's a mixture of 80s tunes by Model 500, Hashim, Dynamix II etc with 90s tunes by LFO, Aux 88, Dopplereffekt etc.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    BigFatally - a good Electro mix is Dave Clarke's Electro Boogie. It's a mixture of 80s tunes by Model 500, Hashim, Dynamix II etc with 90s tunes by LFO, Aux 88, Dopplereffekt etc.

that's dope mix but volume 2 is even better imo

https://youtu.be/706XMuCAikA

DWG Warrior
    ^^^ Electro Boogie Vol 1 & 2 both are great. Need to dig them out of the CD racks again.

DJ Stingray - ‘Kern Vol. 4’ mix CD that dropped a few years ago is also highly recommended. Featuring the Detroit dons Drexciya and also obscure tracks from NRSB-11, Dynarec and Dopplereffekt.

You really do need to check (if it’s still online) the mammoth 4 hour Dekmantel mix that Autechre did a few years ago. A mix of their early influences, incredible stuff... Although not traditional ‘electro’ if you haven’t checked Autechre‘s masterpieces ‘ Incunabula’ ‘Amber’ and ‘Chiastic Slide’ you need to. These albums changed my listening habits in the 90’s and remain classics to me.