Welcome to the DWG Forums.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Brand Nubian LP?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • One For All

36 76.60%
  • In God We Trust

5 10.64%
  • Everything Is Everything

4 8.51%
  • Foundation

2 4.26%
  • Fire In The Hole

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Favorite Brand Nubian LP?

Brand Nubian is one of the best hiphop groups ever in my opinion. Partly because of the impressive solo careers of Puba and Sadat (and I thought Lord Jamar's solo LP was way underrated as well!). But also because of their albums together as a group. I can't think of many hiphop groups ever that put out FIVE so solid albums together as a group. Public Enemy had 4 in my opinion. And MOP too. But did any other group put out 5 LPs that you need to own? (I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple of groups now, but off the top I can't think of any others)

One For All defines that turn-of-the-decade super funky party sound to me. In God We Trust is so hardcore and deep. Everything Is Everything has so much soul. Foundation was one of the best albums of the era to me. And Fire In The Hole is very underrated rap for grown people.

I love them all, so picking one is really hard for me. But I'll go with one that probably won't get the most votes: Foundation. I can see strong points made for any of their LPs. But Foundation just has the most memorable beats and rhymes to me. Even if the two first ones stand out more in a way (for reasons of nostalgia). It's easier for me to pick a least favorite LP: Everything Is Everything. It hurts, because that still has a number of strong tracks on it, but also some less-than-perfect rhymes and beats imho.

(Have to admit there are two tracks that make me lift the needle on Foundation, though: Let's Dance and Back Up Off The Wall. But the quality of the rest of this album is overwhelming to me).

I know some people are die hard fans of the first album and others of the second and so on, so I think opinions will vary a lot here. I hope Fire In The Hole gets at least one vote, but my perception is a lot of people slept on that/didn't like it.

Rate them in order if you want to, but I just can't.

Peace
    Last edited by Soul Survivor; 01-11-11 at 09:22 AM.

DWG Warrior
    No question: One for all!

DWG Warrior
    had to go for one for all, so many dope memories

inspirational & educational too... taught me about the gods & the earths, the 5%er's & the fact that puba was an asiatic black man who was a dog spelt backwards

i remember when i heard love me or leave me alone on yo!, i thought that they had fallen off big time, but punks quickly squashed that, i think that would be my favourite 12 of theirs, so so hardcore & what a dope beat

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by manphat View Post
    had to go for one for all, so many dope memories

i remember when i heard love me or leave me alone on yo!, i thought that they had fallen off big time, but punks quickly squashed that, i think that would be my favourite 12 of theirs, so so hardcore & what a dope beat
    Video version of Punks is my fav version.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul Survivor View Post
    Video version of Punks is my fav version.
    that's the version i originally heard, i like the nasty version & this equally i'd say, not as keen on the lp version which is slightly different

DWG Contributor
    One for All is a top 20 albums of all time classic. I love lots of stuff on Everything is Everything as well - Gods Must Be Crazy, Punks.. - but it' s still not even close.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewhuge View Post
    One for All is a top 20 albums of all time classic. I love lots of stuff on Everything is Everything as well - Gods Must Be Crazy, Punks.. - but it' s still not even close.
    They're from "In God We Trust", but I'm guessing it was a typo.

DWG Warrior
    "ONE FOR ALL!"

DWG Warrior
    one for all for sure, nice thread to start as in the last 2 weeks ive just minted up to o.g US press of one for all and all 12"s from it, so so dope,
    although evrything is everything is still a killer,

fuck it, first 3 are all ill

nice 1

Del
    cos im a be a DWG'er for life
    remixes - www.myspace.com/soulcondor

DWG Warrior
    In God I think. Punks and Allah are dope!