Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Discogs prices are getting out of hand!

DWG Crew

Just need to vent here. I think we could all agree that since the introduction of Discogs, it has helped us catalog our collections, view the various versions available and the current market conditions/value. But some of the prices on here are truly getting out of hand. Brand new releases that sold out quick at $9.99 are flipped on Discogs for $79.99 and higher. SMH

Personally I am not in the business of flipping records but I also know that some people are. I'm a just a DJ who just buys music.

I understand that limited run records could be greater in value due to the quantity available but even bootlegs are sold at a greater value. Supply and demand blah blah blah........There are even a couple of Brick and Mortar stores who have caught on and resold NEW releases at a higher price tag based on the demand. I've run into 2 of these stores myself (1 in Montana USA and the other in San Antonio TX).

Anyways, back to discogs, again I think we all benefited from having Discogs account but the sharks/bots out there just looking to make a buck. Sometimes the true music fans are left behind.

End rant.
    Abs

DWG Warrior
    I like making ridiculous offers on the vastly overpriced records.

My biggest pet peeve is when record shops use Discogs as a price guide! F*CK YOU BUDDY.
    I've stopped going to a few, as he/they always check online first before setting a price.

The shop probably got the record from a collection & cost peanuts, & instead of making a profit & selling it, he checks and argues the price. 'Well, your saving on postage' that's a slightly different pressing, when you know the pressing for a fact etc

And anyone with a real problem with bootlegs, needs to go through there collection and weed them out & dump them at a charity shop.

DWG Warrior
    I'm familiar with this one as well LOL. Ran into a place in Cleveland OH who had NOTHING PRICED out in their used section. When I took a stack of records to the front desk, the cashier looked it up on Discogs. And at which point, I left and won't ever step back in that store EVER.

Abs

Quote Originally Posted by stilts View Post
    I like making ridiculous offers on the vastly overpriced records.

My biggest pet peeve is when record shops use Discogs as a price guide! F*CK YOU BUDDY.
    I've stopped going to a few, as he/they always check online first before setting a price.

The shop probably got the record from a collection & cost peanuts, & instead of making a profit & selling it, he checks and argues the price. 'Well, your saving on postage' that's a slightly different pressing, when you know the pressing for a fact etc

And anyone with a real problem with bootlegs, needs to go through there collection and weed them out & dump them at a charity shop.

DWG Warrior
    UK sellers strike me as being amongst the worst offenders for over pricing, asking £50+ for records that are realistically £20 tops.

I've sold a fair bit on there and I price to sell. If it hasn't gone within a couple of weeks I'll adjust the price slightly. What seems to be more common is one person asking £50 so everyone else thinks that's the going rate and puts their copy up at the same amount.

Also, as someone who has spent alot of time browsing on there, why is so much of the good hip hop everywhere but the UK? Seems like record shop dudes really were not on their job and we've ended up with a load of landfill indie records while all the interesting shit is in Germany and Japan. Guess it just reflects consumer demand back in the day. Shame on you!

DWG Warrior
    The interesting stuff is in Germany? Really? Tell me where ... .
    I have the opposite feeling that the interesting stuff is never in Germany but if the price is double/tripple of what its worth.

Would like to add that auctions on eBay from some of the regular indie record sellers go nuts, often much higher than what's listed on discogs. That killed eBay for me personally. But I can only agree that discogs has pro's and con's which also means that in normal online record stores you can rarely find something special - it goes straight on discogs if it has a certain demand.

I once went to a record store and find a medium indie type release for a good price. There were doubles, I grabbed one. The week after I returned and the other copy was double the price like if the owner checked "oh that guy is buying the record, let me check what's the discogs rate" haha.
    Last edited by Mytee Thor; 29-06-20 at 07:43 PM.

DWG Warrior
    While it's true tons of stuff has gone higher since Discogs became the place to go, lots of stuff has also gotten cheaper. I've picked up lots of 90s indies that got cheaper once people realized there were plenty more copies for sale. A few that used to go for over around $100 are now in the $8-20 range.

I also notice a ton of US stuff I'm looking for is in Germany, and none in the US. I guess the grass is always greener depending on what you're looking for
    example: https://www.discogs.com/Rook-Bishop-...release/519023

DWG Warrior
    From a purely economic standpoint, I have nothing against the price practices on discogs. Records are priced that way because there is a market for it. The whole market buy/sell aggregate is taken into account by each individual to maximize profits. Each seller could just set a price of 1000$ per record and see how that works. Obviously business won't be good. The current prices just reflects what buyers are willing to pay. Supply and demand, simple as that.

DWG Warrior
    You currently can buy most of the classic 12inches for way less then ever before. Good times for filling some holes in the collection.
    DO-City“s Calling

DWG Warrior
    The concept of supply and demand doesnt work when there's a seller (UK of course) with a copy of Exhibit C listed for £500

DWG Warrior
    What’s irritating me is the amount of overinflated postage being charged on a Discogs.

Saw one UK seller charging £5 for your first 12” then an extra £1 for every additional record for delivery inside the uk
    !!!