Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HEAVY METAL

DWG Warrior

HEAVY METAL

I searched and don't think we ever had a thread on METAL.

Do we have any collectors in DWG?

Metal collectors are as dorky and obsessive as Rap fans and we always intersected at School.

Was never a big fan but do like to dabble occasionally.I have a decent section mostly of Proto Metal.

Sabbath up to Sabotage on Vertigo Swirly
    Blue Cheer
    Some Budgie and UFO records
    Sir Lord Baltimore
    Thin Lizzy
    Pentagram compilation
    Couple of the Numero comps.

There were two brothers on my street who were deep in the game with the underground metal and all the subgenres. Thrash, Death, Speed and the new then but now infamous Black Metal. I used to deliver them Kerrang and Metal Hammer subscriptions on my paper round.

The older one was getting tapes sent from Norway probably from that Helvete store. His room had all the windows blacked out, mad candles, satanic imagery plastered on the wall, skulls and other weird shit. His denim jacket had the illest patches of unreadable blasphemous band names and album covers. Not seen him in nearly 30 years, he is probably a stock broker or something now rather than burning down churches.

Outside the early proto stuff and Doom metal that apes it stuff I like would be Kill Em All era Metallica, Slayer, early Darkthrone (Fenriz is a G), Napalm Death, Celtic Frost, Exodus. Donít have any of these on wax just on the I-Tunes for an occasional brain wash.

Feel free to suggest good Metal or clown me for even mentioning it around here.

If anyone has a patch jacket post pics of that shit! The aesthetic and graphics is often better then the music.

leather-black-metal-patch-vest-2-1-960x720.jpg

Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    my best mate at school was heavily into metal/thrash as well as rap, so i used to have to endure a lot of that kind of stuff, and i say endure cos i hated the majority of it and still have no interest in listening to it, but he also got me into the grungier side of things and stuff like Primus.

he used to bump - Exodus, Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Napalm Death and other noise merchants that sounded like they were barking the lyrics

i did go with him to see Exodus and Anthrax bitd, just cos we always went to gigs together, we stood out like sore thumbs in our baggy hip hop attire, with the rest of the crowd in skin tight jeans, denim jackets and vests

he moved back to Wales after school and i have never heard any of the aforementioned music again since, and i ain't mad at that

i do have some records by Sabbath, Led Zep, Thin Lizzy and the like, but they're really not that heavy in comparison to the thrash vibe i experience in my mid teens

DWG Warrior
    In Bed With Chris Needham is one of the G.O.A.T documentaries in U.K history.

Always been partial to a bit of metal on the side. It's a provincial generation x skater thing innit? Metal albums I fuxwit:

Motorhead - Ace Of Spades
    Danzig - Danzig III
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction
    Faith No More - The Real Thing
    Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss
    Suicidal Tendencies - Lights, Camera, Revolution
    Kyuss - And The Circus Leaves Town
    Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf

My GF has goth tendencies and loves that Chelsea Wolfe bird.

Unlistenable shite to my ears, but she'd probably say the same about M.O.P tbf.
    Last edited by BB; 07-08-20 at 11:35 AM.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by manphat View Post

other noise merchants that sounded like they were barking the lyrics

i did go with him to see Exodus and Anthrax bitd, just cos we always went to gigs together
    hahaha the Cookie Monster singers of Death Metal are the funniest. My friend is in Finnish band Children of Bodom and we went to see them as his guests in Glasgow. The support was Cannibal Corpse who were absolutely hilarious in that style.

Damn Exodus and Anthrax would have been a good gig, did you enjoy it?

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    In Bed With Chris Needham is one of the G.O.A.T documentaries in U.K history.

Classic doc!

This is the shit as well

DWG Warrior
    I hate all that Iron Maiden, Judas Priest type stuff, mind. Ditto Metallica and Megadeth. Too widdly-widdly masturbating mosher for me.

Do love the Dream Deceivers documentary about the hesher who shot himself in the face with a shotgun after thinking he heard subliminal messages in Judas Priest's music, lived, had his head sewn back together, and then tried to sue the band.

DWG Warrior
    I recommend a google search of Fenriz's mixtapes, he did a series for Vice and others.

He is an encyclopedia of heavy music and all the ones I checked were a good taster selection for an amateur like me.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Disaster View Post
    hahaha the Cookie Monster singers of Death Metal are the funniest. My friend is in Finnish band Children of Bodom and we went to see them as his guests in Glasgow. The support was Cannibal Corpse who were absolutely hilarious in that style.

Damn Exodus and Anthrax would have been a good gig, did you enjoy it?
    they were separate gigs. Exodus was in my home town at a little venue, which was packed to the rafters. saying i enjoyed it might be a stretch, but i remember having a laugh and having a go at head banging

what was the show, like a metal version of a magazine show that was on in wee hours?

DWG Warrior

Like this one.

DWG Warrior

Got obsessed with these and had to find them on wax.