Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UK/EURO/US Pressing,

There's something nice about a US pressing, especially if its in the shrink with a Hype Sticker and Import Stickers are great too. But how important is having the US pressing to you if the track listing is the same and the release date (more or less the same) as a UK/Euro press.
    Will you buy a US pressing to replace a UK pressing?
    Will you hold off buying a record if its a UK/Euro pressing and wait for a US pressing to come along (probably at a higher price).

Im looking at replacing some records in my collection that have scratches/skips on some tracks, and replacing them with better condition copies in this case Ive set my heart set on getting stickily US copies but its a going to take longer and cost more so I need some motivation to go for the UK pressings chaps

DWG Warrior
    Not overly bothered for the most part, if I find a US orig at a decent price I'd prob pick it up to replace a UK copy that had seen better days but generally I'd rather spend my money on something I don't already own. Something like the UK Electric Relaxation for example is identical to the US so not much point switching up imo.

I did go through a phase on Discogs replacing a bunch of my favourites records that i might've only had on bootleg/repress/UK or whatever but I waited until a reasonably priced upgrade came along and the got a chunk of the cost back selling my other copy on.

As an aside, I think having a load of dope classic shit on promos/TPs/Originals in a collection is much more impressive if you copped them all at the time they dropped, as you obviously knew what you were doing back in the day. Anyone with the money can get those now they're established as being "the ones to have". If that makes sense.

DWG Warrior
    Never been into any of that trainspotter nonsense. Couldn't care less what pressings they are as long as they play fine and I can get them for a decent price.

DWG Warrior
    For rap records it generally needs to be the US press for the decent remix, instrumental and bside but there are exceptions. Eg Jive 12”s from UK were usually decent and nice and loud.

Fuck a CJ McIntosh piece of doo doo remix.

I also hate those flimsy UK 12 covers without an inner sleeve and a 12” at 45rpm is an abomination.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Disaster View Post
    I also hate those flimsy UK 12 covers without an inner sleeve and a 12” at 45rpm is an abomination.
    I've got a UK pressing of Ma$e's Feel So Good which was mispressed with Biggie's Hypnotize

DWG Warrior
    RAEr
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Pretty much replaced all my U.K. pressings with US ones over the last few years, the US pressings just usually feel better in your hand, better quality slice and inner bag etc but that could just be a personal preference.
    I have started picking up some U.K. remixes which at one point I wasn’t interested in at all, however sometimes I think it’s driven by nostalgia more than anything else !

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    I have been replacing my UK pressings for US copies, the only time I have UK or Euro over US will be for if the artist is from the UK, then I'll have the UK version over the US release, this would be the same for mixes if the UK had a different mix to that on the US release, then I would own those along side the US release, i.e. I don't mind some CJ mixes and for me the Vampire Mix of I LEFT MY WALLET IN EL SEGUNDO is better than the original. there are also some nice EU mixes of the Godfather. I suppose don't really come into what you were saying though as these are mixs not released elsewhere.

So the short answer is Yes, if the artist is a US artist and the tracks are the same.
    No if it's a UK Artist

DWG Warrior
    in most cases id want the original pressing, and so if its an American artist id want the US copy... Most people i know who collect hip hop do the same thing).
    aka DJ JUST-1............. "So what you on, huh, dope or dog food?"

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Disaster View Post
    45rpm is an abomination.
    don't get this at all - its standard in other genres? What difference does it make?