Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    i'm happy to report that i finally snagged a copy of this earlier this year. only a 25 year wait from initally hearing it.

they had 1 or 2 copies in Fat City bitd and an old mate (Lopez from LG & Lopez) got one and put it on a mix for me. once i heard it, i pestered the life out of the lads in Fats to get me one, but they could never get their hands on them again.

for me the initial interest was for the b-side cut 'Sun Up From Sun Down', i just loved the whole concept behind the track, the beat and the lyrics, with it kicking a story and dropping knowledge, total winner of a track.

i'd never heard the 'Bon Vi' track until i finally got the record, but hot damn, that's a belter too, probably played that more than the tune i got it for.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by stilts View Post
    Remember looking for a copy in Japan for Captain Spatula the Phatman, in ever record shop I went into (A LOT)
    Was really hoping to find one.. They seemed to have everything but..
    thanks for even trying brother

DWG Warrior
    Interesting that there's been 2 responses both referencing Fat City. Some records and artists just sold through staff in certain shops pushing them I guess.

DWG Warrior
    they, they being Fat City, ended up licensing 'Sun Up' to put on one of their Mystic Brew compilations, so it was obviously a big tune for them, but not big enough to secure multiple copies for the shop

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Myst.../release/35741

DWG Warrior
    if i'm not mistaken Blue Black was part of that group too:

DWG Warrior
    got a bit bored at work a couple of weeks ago and made a rather low ball* offer on the Bon Vi 12", which I expected to be rejected. Almost immediately I received an invoice for payment and pretty much a year to the day of this thread my copy arrived

broke my previous "most paid for" barrier but well worth it.

Fully expect a re-issue in the new year now.

(*it was low compared to the asking price but still slightly less than the most it's sold for in the sales history.)
    Last edited by step one; 10-12-21 at 06:42 PM.

DWG Warrior
    I love that records this good can remain largely undiscovered, but i can clearly imagine someone like Nas, Guru, Q Tip, CL etc on this beat in the mid 90s wouldve propelled it to overplayed classic status.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by deerhunta View Post
    if i'm not mistaken Blue Black was part of that group too:

thanks for this, missed this when you posted, i think that you're correct. sounds like Blue Black's voice/flow and they're from DC, so it all adds up.

just listening to the album now, decent 98 vibes.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    got a bit bored at work a couple of weeks ago and made a rather low ball* offer on the Bon Vi 12", which I expected to be rejected. Almost immediately I received an invoice for payment and pretty much a year to the day of this thread my copy arrived

broke my previous "most paid for" barrier but well worth it.

Fully expect a re-issue in the new year now.

(*it was low compared to the asking price but still slightly less than the most it's sold for in the sales history.)
    proper result, chuffed for you pal. it's an unbelievably dope record.