Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Hows lockdown treating everyone?

Hows lockdown treating everyone? Im getting more lost on my phone and the missus has been working from home since March. The boy is at preschool for some of the time. Otherwise Im teaching online and working from home. Music is helping break it up a bit.
    How about everyone else?

Up's and Downs.
    I've been working as normal since the first lockdown but with slightly reduced hours so that's been all good as I get more time at home, but on the flip side Ive been involved in a stressful incident/investigation in work that went on for months and months (there are so many rules and regs in the rail industry) and was fully exonerated at the end of the investigation but it was stresful.

The Home-schooling thing has been OK my son goes to a Private School and whilst the Zoom lessons could be a lot better (a hell of a lot better for the amount we are paying) I appreciate he is still probably getting a far better education than some schools that don't seem able to string together a decent timetable of online lessons for the kids. The experience people get from school to school seems to be so random.

My wife's dad dies last months so my wife and son have gone to japan for a few months to take care of family affairs, its been a tough time, very challenging emotionally, logistically and financially, this would be hard at the best of times but in the Covid era, damn its been tough.
    I was worried about my son missing months of education but he is staying up untill 1am every morning to attend the online lessons as if he was still in the UK, Im very pound of him, he's chosen to do this himself to not fall behind the other kids. He still get to have fun in Tokyo every afternoon and weekends but sleeps to midday most days due to the late nights

On the positive tip.
    I've been enjoying the music and the cultures that surround it (fashion etc) as much as I ever have.
    There have been so any podcasts/YouTube/Instagram shows with features on/interviews with great artists that Im never short of anything to watch/listen to and and learning so much.

Also I was also 9 years sober yesterday, Ive been sober since my first AA meeting 9 years ago and since most of the AA world moved onto Zoom last March I've had a blast, the Zoom thing really works for me, its been incredible, its been my best year in the fellowship and most evenings Im Zooming somewhere around the world, chatting to new folk and Ive meet with an incredible bunch of guy in NYC that I meet a few times a week. For me this has been one of the positive upsides of the pandemic and one aspect I'll miss when the world goes back to normal.
    Last edited by francois parker; 20-02-21 at 05:36 PM.

DWG Warrior
    Aw mate, that sounds really, really testing!
    Glad that working at home has been positive but sorry to hear about the investigation. They can be draining and stressful as hell!

The schooling thing is very tricky - some schools seem like they were still on the back foot, even after last lockdown. Im a teacher and our place has got it all sorted, and had it sorted way in advance of the lockdown. Its tricky from a teacher perspective with engagement and misconceptions but I cant imagine how hard it must be for the kids.

Condolences to you all for you father in law. Sorry to hear that man.

Health is a hell of a thing once it goes a bit bad - I had two years of bad health with my stomach that Im now on long term medication for, really bummed me out and one of the reasons Ive been a bit absent on here because it was affecting me pretty badly. Hang in there man. Hope it gets better and the docs are on it.

Great stuff with the music and congratulations on nine years sober! Thats incredible man! Just amazing. A genuinely incredible achievement 😊😊

DWG Warrior
    The novelty factor of the first lockdown has long since wore off during this winter of discontent. But I can't complain really.

Definitely eating too much but haven't had a drink since I last went the pub before Xmas. Contrary to what my wine-drinking GF says, boozing at home is boring as fuck.

As a result of working from home, I'm finding I'm spending less time using any kind of Internet in the evenings. Thus, I've read more books, listened to more music, watched more movies, and been for more walks.

DWG Warrior
    Working from home since March. At times I truly feel the benefits (no traffic jam in the morning) but this "groundhog day" shit starts getting on my nerves - also because of the weather in autumn/winter season. I mean when you realize that its Thursday and you haven't left the house for the last 4 days but instead worked about 10hrs a day without even taking a break then you realize "its serious".

Now it could be worse because I can do my job very well from home and have no financial issue with the lockdown or I could have been sick from COVID but sometimes I feel I should just run against the wall.

DWG Warrior
    Nothing too major here in switzerland..we can still freely roam about, just restaurants / bars / clubs / non essential businesses closed. And at the firm i work at we have more to do than ever, surprisingly. I work in QC so i have to be at work and can't do it from home, which, at least, lets me leave the house during the week.

DWG Warrior
    BB - glad its not too bleak man, good look with the not drinking. Im on a different boat... drinking and too much internet. Got to knock that on the head, back at work next week.
    Yours sounds solid - well, as solid as it can be. Good reading 🙌

DWG Warrior
    Mytee_Thor: Aw man; I feel that. The missus has been working from home since March too. Youre right though, weve still got jobs and the financial side isnt hit because of working from home, but it does drive you crazy.

DWG Warrior
    serch4beatz: sounds positive man. Im glad things are running smoothly. Hope work is a safe place!

DWG Warrior
    Staying off the rum & ginger this lockdown has meant I've had to get my ginger fix in other ways.

Dr Stuart's apple, ginger & cinnamon tea.

Sticky toffee pudding with hint of ginger.

McVities ginger nuts, natch.