Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52
  1. #11
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Espoo Finland
    Posts
    9,451
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    Tom Browne's Jamaica Funk is about Jamaica, Queens in NY and not actual Jamaica.

    Is this common knowledge?
    I knew this but only because I have loads of the records from that crew and their studio was in Jamaica Queens. Weldon Irvine, Tom Browne, Don Blackmon etc.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

  2. #12
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,707
    I just learned that the half life of caffeine is 5 hours. Don't drink caffeinated drinks so a bit of useless information for me really.

  3. #13
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    921
    🤣

  4. #14
    Only yesterday learnt that Nine of Whutcha Want fame had a record out in 85 as Ricochet And Centipede ‎(I dont know if he was Ricochet or Centipede). I just listened to it and its cool, bit of the pricey side though, but a dope 85 12".
    I always thought Nine was a bit rubbish, I did like Any Emcee though.

    And whilst on the subject of Nine, was it just something people down here used to say or was it in a mag or something that the reason he rhymes in such a gruff voice was something to do with him swallowing acid? That story defo done the rounds down here.
    Anyway in a podcast I just listen to (Nine interview on Dadbodrappod) Nine says he adopted the gruff voice on recommendation from some old fella in prison, who heard him doing reagree in that voice and said he should rap like it.

  5. #15
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    Posts
    3,783
    Quote Originally Posted by francois parker View Post
    Only yesterday learnt that Nine of Whutcha Want fame had a record out in 85 as Ricochet And Centipede ‎(I dont know if he was Ricochet or Centipede). I just listened to it and its cool, bit of the pricey side though, but a dope 85 12".
    I always thought Nine was a bit rubbish, I did like Any Emcee though.

    And whilst on the subject of Nine, was it just something people down here used to say or was it in a mag or something that the reason he rhymes in such a gruff voice was something to do with him swallowing acid? That story defo done the rounds down here.
    Anyway in a podcast I just listen to (Nine interview on Dadbodrappod) Nine says he adopted the gruff voice on recommendation from some old fella in prison, who heard him doing reagree in that voice and said he should rap like it.
    I've been after that Ricochet record for a while now, he was also in the group Duces Wild aswell who had a few records out in the 80's aswell.
    I quite liked his solo records he put out, I doubt very much he swallowed acid as I don't think he would be talking at all if he had and would have lots of health issues if he had, I suspect it was one of those rumours that was doing the rounds in areas of the UK, A bit like back in 84 we thought that the Americans were already up to Electro 20, admittedly at this this time I had only seen recordings of the LP's so believed the rumour

  6. #16
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,759
    Quote Originally Posted by diseone View Post
    I back in 84 we thought that the Americans were already up to Electro 20, admittedly at this this time I had only seen recordings of the LP's so believed the rumour
    I swear this was quite a common thing back in my childhood. Talk of America having all this shit we couldn't possibly conceive of.
    Back To the Future part 6, unseen episodes of the A-Team and mythical McDonalds meals.

    In the absence of Google, kids in the 80s talked an awful lot of shit

  7. #17
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    Posts
    3,783
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    In the absence of Google, kids in the 80s talked an awful lot of shit
    But that was the charm, no internet, phones to spoil a child growing up.

  8. #18
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Espoo Finland
    Posts
    9,451
    I have a friend who is older and somewhat of a Hip Hop 'mentor' but is also a notorious bullshit artist.

    It was funny how when the internet came out I was able to destroy so many of the porkies he had told us over the years about non existent records etc. I don't think he likes me as much these days

    So much of his persona was being an all seeing oracle and font of knowledge, I don't think he could take the dawn of Google. I have caught him out so many times.

    It's funny how copious cannabis use and Hip Hop creates these characters, he's not the only one I have met over the years that like to spin yarns about things.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

  9. #19
    DWG Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    I'd Rather Jack
    Posts
    3,522
    Yo man, I got this EPMD record from '79, man. Erick Sermon's playin' the banjo on that shit. Yo, that shit is phat, man!

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    I swear this was quite a common thing back in my childhood. Talk of America having all this shit we couldn't possibly conceive of.
    Back To the Future part 6, unseen episodes of the A-Team and mythical McDonalds meals.

    In the absence of Google, kids in the 80s talked an awful lot of shit
    Had a friend at school in around '87 who told me on his summer trip to Florida he'd seen Rocky 5 where he fought a ninja robot. I believed him at the time too .

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •