Welcome to the DWG Forums.
    DWG Warrior

Kendrick Lamar - The Heart Part 5... discuss

So what you thinking people? The Mr Morale and the Big Steppers LP drops on Friday and obviously Kendrick stans everywhere are wetting their pants in anticipation.

For my part I have been very carefully trying not to board the Kendrick Lamar Hype train since day one. I do like some of his work very much, other stuff I definitely struggle with. I've certainly never been close to being a Kendrick obsessive.

But then I watched the Compton documentary with The Game on Amazon (not a brilliant documentary at all but pretty interesting and worth a watch) and shortly after finishing it this "Heart Part 5" video started doing the rounds.

I have to admit I have been obsessively watching it ever since, researching the lyrics and trying to understand all the references and now I am kind of entranced by the whole Kendrick Lamar persona!

So I guess I just wanted to get the opinions of you lot... so whatcha sayin?
    Postie
    Spines On The Shelves
    http://ukhiphopcratedigger.blogspot.com/

That's a cool video. For me, I can respect his talent and understand why he's regarded as one of this generation's top emcees. But personally, just can't stand his voice and flow.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD MONEY TOBE$ View Post
    That's a cool video. For me, I can respect his talent and understand why he's regarded as one of this generation's top emcees. But personally, just can't stand his voice and flow.
    Yeah the voice and flow can def be grating... I think that's probably the main reason why I am not a fan of a lot of stuff he does. He's one of those rappers whose music seems to require a fair bit of effort from the listener and has a lot of layers to pull back. I suppose that gives you a different type of reward for your efforts but it's not necessarily always particularly acoustically pleasing. But that said, on a semi regular basis he does seem to switch up and I think this track is an example of that. I definitely didn't have a hard time getting into it this time. I think the easy-to-listen-to Marvin beat definitely lubricated it for me... that and the fact the video is pretty fucking captivating!
    Last edited by Postie; 11-05-22 at 03:25 PM.
    Postie
    Spines On The Shelves

DWG Warrior
    EVENT RAP by an IMPORTANT ARTISTE!!!

His voice always reminds me of Devin The Dude's Zeldar from Beldar intro. Not necessarily a good thing, but it occasionally works for me. I like a few of his singles but can't stand his albums. In that respect, he's a highfalutin Kid Ink.

I've never heard any of the other Heart singles to compare this to. It's a clever song with the video and everything, but I don't find it particularly enjoyable to listen to.
    Last edited by BB; 11-05-22 at 03:53 PM.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    EVENT RAP by an IMPORTANT ARTISTE!!!
    Lol - it's definitely that! I imagine they're engraving the plaque for the Library of congress as we speak!
    Postie
    Spines On The Shelves

DWG Warrior
    Not into it but not a fan of his anyway. Don't really see what the fuss is about tbh.
    Some people seem to really overthink him too. Some of the comments I've seen online are just....no.