Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 156 of 156 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156
Results 1,551 to 1,559 of 1559
    DWG Warrior
    Hieroglyphics '3rd Eye Vision' 3LP repress looks good. I never knew about all the CD-only tracks so nice that these are coming to wax (plus a bonus track): https://www.fatbeats.com/products/hi...te-swirl-vinyl

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SLCOOLJ View Post
    Makeba & Skratch album finally being reissued!
    Where? When?

DWG Warrior
    On Dope Folks, all they said was coming soon..

DWG Warrior
    Hiero looks to be the bunch there for me. Pity all this swirl/coloured vinyl business's must exist.Cant we leave something just black vinyl.
    White and clear vinyl can do a walk for me.
    Good look on the Makeba and Skratch.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ijunor View Post
    Hiero looks to be the bunch there for me. Pity all this swirl/coloured vinyl business's must exist.Cant we leave something just black vinyl.
    new transparent clear vinyl is the best for quality. This was new to me but it does seem to be true. It has to be the vinyl that looks like glass though
    aka DJ JUST-1............. "So what you on, huh, dope or dog food?"

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by record-sniffer View Post
    new transparent clear vinyl is the best for quality. This was new to me but it does seem to be true. It has to be the vinyl that looks like glass though
    This isn't true. Clear vinyl and coloured vinyl is nearly always more noisy than plain black wax.

Theoretically as PVC is clear in colour it makes sense but the additive that makes the pellets black stabilises the consistency of the plastic.

Also clear wax makes it nearly impossible to see defects in the stamping process so makes more chance of a noisier pressing.

From an interview with Steve Albini:

Joe Foster, who recorded The Jesus and Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine, told me that the best sounding vinyl is clear vinyl. Do you agree?

SA: There's a theoretical point there, which is that polyvinyl chloride is colourless, so if you're adding something to it to colour it, then you're changing the chemistry of it slightly, and that has potential to make it sound not as good by having inclusions. Like if it's carbon black then there can be little granules of graphite or whatever. The biggest problem is that presses are set up to run black vinyl regularly, and if you have to clear the presses of the black vinyl, then put in the clear vinyl, then the presses have to come up to temperature from cold, and until they're operating at a stabilised temperature the pressings will not be filled properly. That is, you'll get much more surface noise. So, coloured vinyl typically sounds noisier than black vinyl because it has to be run in a special production run, during which the presses have not quite gotten up to temperature. So you end up with poor in-fill. In-fill meaning the vinyl doesn't penetrate all the way into the back of the stamper, and you end up with more ticks and pops, and more surface noise. So while it's conceivable that clear vinyl would sound better were all records made out of clear vinyl, when you make an edition of a record on clear vinyl interrupting a normal production run of black vinyl you're creating opportunities for that record to sound worse. So it's sort of a theoretical point. If all records were made out of clear vinyl, then it's possible that there would be slightly less surface noise on those records. But they're not. And so if records are made specially out of clear vinyl, there's a real good chance that your records will be noisier than the black records that were made the day before.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ijunor View Post
    There's a regular black vinyl version of the Hiero release too Looking forward to the Makeba & Skratch LP also.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Disaster View Post
    This isn't true. Clear vinyl and coloured vinyl is nearly always more noisy than plain black wax.
    i heard a record the other day at my friends house, which was a recentish reissue of a dub album on clear vinyl. It is probably the best sounding record i have ever heard, i mean i was shocked at how good it sounded.

https://www.discogs.com/Scientist-In...elease/6769996

He also played me a recent reissue of a Thelonious Monk Live album on clear vinyl which was also amazing in sound quality...

i know its only a couple of records and i've always been a believer that black wax is the best but these two were exceptional
    aka DJ JUST-1............. "So what you on, huh, dope or dog food?"

DWG Warrior
    Can’t comment on the quality of clear vinyl Vs. black, as I don’t own enough clear ones to comment fairly.

However, the annoying thing about (ice) clear records is they are really difficult to cue up the right track if you are trying to select a particular one, because its hard to tell what side the space gap is, when the record is spinning.

Obviously, no issue if you are listening to the whole thing start to finish.