Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 159 of 160 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160 LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 1592
    DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    on a brighter note, Chopped Herring coming with the SOP reissue + demo goodness. Don't usually buy these ltd edition things but was straight on this.

https://shop.choppedherringrecords.com/product/sopep/

Pleased they haven't included the original version of Styles as I finally forked out for an original copy a couple of years back to upgrade from the bootleg 6 track comp I'd had it on since 95
    Damn.. I'm not pleased haha. Really want Styles on vinyl and thought this would be my chance to not spend $100+ on it

DWG Warrior
    Adagio - NY To Philly EP to be reissued in a couple of months with some extra unreleased material.

Yet this is just another rant:
    I'm wondering what today's vinyl boom shenanigans mean for tomorrow's 2nd hand market. Not only pressing plants are being sloppy as fuck, not only labels assign artwork & mastering to the kid next door to save some money but they also source their reissues from used tape, CD & vinyl copies... with the artists' blessings. Is the following generation going to be dealing with a market where there won't be any clear difference between legit & bootleg quality? And who's gonna tell them what's what?

So, just for the record:
    - Some of you might remember the DNA - Bronx Criminal County reissue parody from a while ago. The group's members eventually backed the alleged bootlegger's 2nd batch but they also said they never sent him any audio or visual material. It was probably a vinyl rip that was used and anyone who didn't follow that story will never know.

- I was mildly interested in the SCU - Brace Yo Delf vinyl issue until I heard the snippets. The one track I was after is of much lower quality compared to the rest, sounds like an amateurish vinyl rip, and that was a deal breaker for me. I'm left to assume that the rest of the album is taken from a CD rip.

- Combined Operation - Sessions, recently issued on vinyl. Hype has been built for months, finally released and by reading through the label's Facebook comments I found out it's another vinyl rip. I steered clear but the damn thing was sold out within days. Noone else read / noone cares?

Remember when Heavy Jewelz released Gee Rock's Strait Outta Jerzee on vinyl and openly stated that it was from a tape rip hence the super low price? Good times, noone seems to follow their example though.

DWG Warrior
    I wonder how many records are actually being played too, so many poorly pressed records and no proper thought to the design. A lot of people seem happier with coloured vinyl than how it actually sounds!

DWG Warrior
    Wait, what? You actually PLAY records? I thought they where for collection purposes only..

DWG Warrior
    I've lost count of the number of times I've bought a record pressed in the last 3-4 years and its sounded beat up right out of the shrink.

Hissing, pops, flat sound, warps, non-fill... you name it.

Just gets thrown in the collection and rarely played again.

DWG Warrior
    According to a 2016 research that everybody quotes, 48% of vinyl buyers don't actually listen to records. That's... that's crazy.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by stilts View Post
    Wait, what? You actually PLAY records? I thought they where for collection purposes only..
    Vynilz strictly for the gram shuuuuuuuun

I'd forgotten about the DNA 12" and the discogs mod fun!

DWG Warrior
    i bet all these picture disc reissues all sound great at the price !!!!
    9838F221-925F-4330-BF00-8DC846420421.jpeg
    beats like ice cream, rhymes are like sprinkles...

DWG Warrior
    Buys ltd gold technics to play picture discs, could be why they're selling it! Jesper needs to get selling those Sam Fox raers

Quote Originally Posted by speck View Post
    Adagio - NY To Philly EP to be reissued in a couple of months with some extra unreleased material.

Yet this is just another rant:
    I'm wondering what today's vinyl boom shenanigans mean for tomorrow's 2nd hand market. Not only pressing plants are being sloppy as fuck, not only labels assign artwork & mastering to the kid next door to save some money but they also source their reissues from used tape, CD & vinyl copies... with the artists' blessings. Is the following generation going to be dealing with a market where there won't be any clear difference between legit & bootleg quality? And who's gonna tell them what's what?

So, just for the record:
    - Some of you might remember the DNA - Bronx Criminal County reissue parody from a while ago. The group's members eventually backed the alleged bootlegger's 2nd batch but they also said they never sent him any audio or visual material. It was probably a vinyl rip that was used and anyone who didn't follow that story will never know.

- I was mildly interested in the SCU - Brace Yo Delf vinyl issue until I heard the snippets. The one track I was after is of much lower quality compared to the rest, sounds like an amateurish vinyl rip, and that was a deal breaker for me. I'm left to assume that the rest of the album is taken from a CD rip.

- Combined Operation - Sessions, recently issued on vinyl. Hype has been built for months, finally released and by reading through the label's Facebook comments I found out it's another vinyl rip. I steered clear but the damn thing was sold out within days. Noone else read / noone cares?

Remember when Heavy Jewelz released Gee Rock's Strait Outta Jerzee on vinyl and openly stated that it was from a tape rip hence the super low price? Good times, noone seems to follow their example though.
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment of this, there are indeed a lot of sub-par releases being dropped in terms of quality control and labels really do need to start holding pressing plants accountable for delivering flat vinyl (it's harder than it sounds though), I wouldn't be quite so quick to hate on vinyl rips... in many instances it's the best audio source available and is a well recognised archiving technique even used by labels such as Blue Note (so I've heard) where the original master tapes aren't available... it's inevitable with some of these obscure hip-hop releases that masters either won't be available or accessible and so a vinyl rip is often the next best option... certainly there are several DWG releases sourced from vinyl rips that sound absolutely fine... there's a significant difference between a professionally engineered vinyl rip done on audiophile equipment in a professional sound studio and some kid ripping his favourite 12" on a USB turntable and sending it to press... but again that comes back to your sentiment as to the amateurishness of some labels nowadays... that's all, as you were...