Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132
Results 1,311 to 1,317 of 1317
    DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Disaster View Post
    LOL you supported that Brixton Drill group?

Did you chat to them?

I lived in Brixton Hill in late 90's for 2 years and while it could be a bit wild it certainly wasn't like the South Side Of Chicago.

Brixton itself is so gentrified its hard to take this stuff seriously despite the tabloids making it sound like a war zone in London.
    Yeah, they were from Brixton. Tbh, barely anybody was even taking me on, mainly cos i look very very out of place at a gig like that. I tried to chat to some of the grime djs who were on before us, but i didn't realise that they were like proper producers who have actual respect on the scene, so i was summarily pied off and they went back to playing upcoming releases on Rotpot records to each other enthusiastically on their phones. Fair enough tbh.

The Brixton lot weren't acting like gangsters or anything, they were very professional, rocked up about ten minutes before the show, got some photos with folks backstage, did the show, took some more pics with people backstage, then jetted off to the afterparty.

Here's my view from the first night.

2.jpg

I don't really know the vibe on this board yet, and whether i am supposed to hate every hip hop release after Eric B For President or w/e, but i thought it was a really good show.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ijunor View Post
    Maybe I should've asked for a stab proof vest for Xmas to stay down with the kids?.
    Life is full of these missed opportunities.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by beezer holmes View Post

I don't really know the vibe on this board yet, and whether i am supposed to hate every hip hop release after Eric B For President or w/e, but i thought it was a really good show.
    Hah! DWG is the perfect place for this existential crisis.

DWG Warrior
    It was in Glasgow, the crowd all looked like they were 15, and having a better time than i can remember having at a Hip Hop gig in a long while.
    They looked like they were having a better time than you've had a hip hop gig in a long time? What was the last hip hop gig you were at? I think the last thing i was at was London Posse & that has to be up there as one of the best i've ever been at or do you mean current hip hop acts? As for drill, i like the Unknown T - Homerton B tune & 67's Let's Lurk is alright but i prefer the Big Shaq version tbh

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by djricochet View Post
    They looked like they were having a better time than you've had a hip hop gig in a long time? What was the last hip hop gig you were at? I think the last thing i was at was London Posse & that has to be up there as one of the best i've ever been at or do you mean current hip hop acts? As for drill, i like the Unknown T - Homerton B tune & 67's Let's Lurk is alright but i prefer the Big Shaq version tbh
    I like to try to be a pragmatic person in general, so i have to say that a London Posse show in 2018/2019 would have to be pulling out some mighty big stops to be any more to me than just going to see The Rolling Stones, or some other heritage act. I just meant that it was a super fun gig to be at i guess, the energy level was high and i was acutely aware that it was a different generation to me that was enjoying it, and i was happy to see that.

I don't know if i see any point in comparing it to anything i myself experienced, but if i had to it might be seeing Pay As U Go in like 2001/2002. Again, i kinda suspect that this is not really the audience for me to even talk about my experiences in garage clubs.

I haven't seen much of this tabloid outrage about Brixton in the tabloids, does anyone have any links to this? I don't feel they should be held accountable for the way they are presented there though. Maybe i don't get the banter in here though, is it all a bit "things were much better in my day" type of chat? I do enjoy a bit of that tbh.

DWG Warrior
    Rico, to answer your question, i think the last Hip Hop gigs i went to would either be the time i played with Format last (maybe 2 years ago), or maybe going to see KRS 1 and Supernatural in Edinburgh.

I saw TLC this summer, i dunno if that counts... I also caught a bit of Casisdead and Ghetts and assorted other uk folks.

DWG Warrior
    KRS 1 and Supernatural in Edinburgh. I also caught a bit of Casisdead and Ghetts.
    Damn, i seem to remember us bein at a KRS gig in Edinburgh but that was years ago! Absolutely love Cas as well but he doesn't seem as prolific as when his album came out & goin to see Ghetts on my bday!