Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 13 of 132 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    Easy there people, my name's Jimmy Green (it's not just an odd colour-related forum name) and I reside in the lovely, quaint, simple market town of Ipswich, in the UK. Well, that's how the press had it pegged until the start of December, but let's not dwell on all that.

I'm 29, been listening to hip hop since about 86 (when I was nine), and been buying it since 87. I collect records... less so now, as I got a bit too obsessed at one point, and at the minute I'm just about managing to pay the bills so I havent got a great deal of spare cash...one of the reasons being that I've got a single-room building in the garden that we had built last year to house my records....

I've got about 5,000 records at last estimate, but I'll have to get round to cataloguing them at some point. I've probably got about 1,500 - 2,000 hip hop records, the rest are mainly sample material.

I make beats as well, have put an album out in the last three months with various MCs guesting on it, and remix thngs just for the hell of it. Check out my myspace if you're a bit bored -

www.myspace.com/stupidfreshmain

I was a school teacher by trade until the end of last month, now I'm a youth worker again like I was a couple of years ago when I had a year out from teaching. At the end of this month I shall be tutoring 16-18 year olds in basic literacy and numeracy and whatnot... all through the beauty of hip hop! Get in there! I'm looking forward to that IMMENSELY.

This looks like a wicked site - I look forward to posting up here.

PEACE

Jimmy

DWG Warrior
    Oh yeah, forgot to say -

I've been DJing out in clubs and that since 95, and putting on nights from 97 onwards (although not so much putting on recently, although I've still been sporadically DJing out at Hip Hop events)

I've been presenting a Hip Hop show on icrfm (www.icrfm.co.uk) since 2001 with my mate Paulo (who has got a pretty ridiculous collection of Hip Hop vinyl, possibly more Hip Hop than I have)

Currently living in my own house with my long term girlfriend who is immensely tolerant of my music obsession (making, listening and buying)

Big up to Mr Just One for recommending the site to me! (Also big up Mr Rockwell!)

DWG Warrior
    Having just signed up, it seems sensible that I introduce myself.

I’m Warren, aged 39 (oh god, the big 40 in 8 months :shocked: ) living in Highbury, London. I work for an investment bank within the City. So hardly your typical ‘head’! I’m not married & do not have kids, but have a long-term girlfriend/partner (she lives in Brussels, so I tend to find myself on the Eurostar quite a bit!)

I was born/bred in Dunstable (nr Luton) & started to get into hip-hop in 86-87, coming into it via soul/funk, first as a record buyer and then did some DJing at house parties/local bars etc. Work & women took over and by ’92 I had pretty much walked away from music. Then about 5 years ago I took a sabbatical, did a bit of travelling & found myself getting back into my music.

Since then the vinyl collection has been growing again at a rate of knots. Whilst I have been buying new stuff, it is mainly 70s soul/funk/jazz and 87-92 hip-hop that has been attracting my attention and cash. At some point this year I’d like to hook up with some like-minded souls & get out and do the odd bit of DJing again.

Favourite records, hmmm. On the hip-hop side of things DJ Jazzy Jeff’s ‘A Touch of Jazz’, Public Enemy’s ‘Rebel Without A Pause’ & Big Daddy Kane’s ‘Raw’ all really grabbed me at the time and have not let go since.

Aside from that, for my sins I am a lifelong, season ticket-carrying Gooner…in this neck of the woods it is pretty much mandatory!! Oh, in case you are wondering, ‘Also-ran’ is a shortened anagram of my name (surname is Alsop). I thought it quite appropriate for a 40 year-old head! :shamed:

welcome Jack, Jimmy and Warren!

good to have more heads on the board - how did you find out about the forum by the way??

pz

RD

DWG Warrior
    raredave:>welcome Jack, Jimmy and Warren!

good to have more heads on the board - how did you find out about the forum by the way??

pz

RD
    RD,

I originally came across DWG when you and Chris were on the old vinyl-exchange board last year. Then happened to have a look at it this week and noticed it had changed and increased a bit :shocked: Bloody annoyed I missed out in the Phil Most Chill EP...but want me one of them there posters!

DWG Warrior
    also-ran:>Bloody annoyed I missed out in the Phil Most Chill EP...but want me one of them there posters!
    Guys, you are gonna have to make your next "special project" a limited run of 200 - so everyone that wants it gets a piece of the pie !

DWG Warrior
    Got a heads up from Just-One when I DJed at the same gig as him at Christmas in Norwich... it's a wicked site!

PEAS

DWG Warrior
    Hi I'm Cro,

originally from Liverpool but moved to Birmingham for Uni and stayed. Have been djing and promoting for about 10 years now, collecting records a little longer. I worked at Breakin Point Magazine (Chr!s have you spoken to Chris recently?) before it's untimely demise. Currently working in a lil independent record shop and at a school. I also do a weekly 2 hour radio show best to check [url=http://www.myspace.com/djcrobirmingham">www.myspace.com/djcrobirmingham[/url] if you want more info

Cro:>I worked at Breakin Point Magazine (Chr!s have you spoken to Chris recently?)
    Wow... there's a name from the past! I thought that mag was cool - and Chris is a nice guy too. I lost contact with him though, when the mag folded.

Welcome, by the way! :bigsmile: