Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    Understanding sounds pre-Illmatic to me, but then I thought that about Life Is Like A Dice Game too

DWG Warrior
    yeah i'm not sure now...thing is this sample/song was somewhere i remembered from 95..which i found out was a clue tape...so i thought it was a recent r&b song, but he blended it so didn't find out straight away, but i've just found out it's the gap band and it's from 89.
    what makes me think it's post illmatic is the inclusion of az, like why would you want him on track of your demo just talking..i dunno i can be wrong..it sounds raw compared to it was written material but same is deja vu which wasn't included

DWG Warrior
    Young AZ just coulda been hangin' out in the studio that day and Nas let him hop on the song to yap for the Hell of it?

The strongest evidence that it's pre-Illmatic is that Nas mentions Ill Will in the present tense on there, and Iill Will died sometime in 1992.

DWG Warrior
    yeah could be , also the main sample would have been a little outdated compared to the stuff that was sampled at that time

DWG Warrior
    I assumed this was bootleg/white label from the beginning, whats the legit origin? I've got a weird copy from Japan with a taped on pc

DWG Warrior
    F/w in deadwax OG, no F/w bootleg...the stickers all came after mainly in Japan

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by chakfu View Post
    I assumed this was bootleg/white label from the beginning, whats the legit origin? I've got a weird copy from Japan with a taped on pc
    same. both versions look very bootleggy.

DWG Warrior
    so you saying canns is wrong on this?

DWG Warrior
    Nah, I'm just surprised that's what the legit press looks like.

DWG Warrior
    Would seem that whoever was in the Promo department at Columbia was given free range to create hype material for It Was Written in 1996 as the Escobar EP also looks like a boot and has the F/W in the run outs.

It's definitely an official promo record as I got my copy from a local Indie Rock record shops closing down basement sale and they were sent it by the label. They had hundreds of 90's promo Hip Hop records down there as they took the not for resale thing literally.

Was Faith Newman still there in 1996?
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.