Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 610 of 611 FirstFirst ... 110510560600608609610611 LastLast
Results 6,091 to 6,100 of 6109
    DWG Warrior
    feels like a K-Rino kinda day..

DWG Warrior
    ^^^ Ultimate Flow from that album is so crazy.

DWG Warrior
    The K-Rino album was the the soundtrack of my Holiday to Houston.

Had me hyped on the plane imagining I was going to be finding Texas raers a plenty. Didn't find any good Raps.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Disaster View Post
    The K-Rino album was the the soundtrack of my Holiday to Houston.

Had me hyped on the plane imagining I was going to be finding Texas raers a plenty. Didn't find any good Raps.
    When I went to San Francisco a few years ago I had crazy visions of all types of Bay Area gems cluttering up Amoeba dollar bins. Did not happen.
    Maybe you need to be deep in the hood to come up on that kind of thing.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by step one View Post
    When I went to San Francisco a few years ago I had crazy visions of all types of Bay Area gems cluttering up Amoeba dollar bins. Did not happen.
    Maybe you need to be deep in the hood to come up on that kind of thing.
    Same here, went to Amoeba with HIGH expectations and what happened - I left without a single purchase. The only great experience was the size of the store but even more the hippy type neighborhood. San Francisco is a great place to be, love it.

DWG Warrior
    I scooped up a couple of cheap 12"s but nothing amazing, plus a Bay Area hyphy comp CD and Paris - Sleeping With The Enemy on CD. Wasn't quite what I had expected though.
    Fortunately I found some other smaller stores in the same area and got a few good bits (a sealed OG Sucker MCs for $10 being the most notable). I think the best place was one I passed on the bus on the way back to the hotel and didn't have time to stop because we were getting picked up to go to the airport.

DWG Warrior
    I went to Japan & almost cried with joy in every record shop I went into.
    unfuckwidable selections on all genres. Clean, crisp, & good prices.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by stilts View Post
    I really need to do this at some point

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by stilts View Post
    I've been twice to Japan. The first time it was like this. The second time (late 2019) the prices increased a lot but bargains could still be found. Really looking forward to go back there a soon as possible...

I've been to Tokyo almost every year for since 1997 and this doesn't make me in anyway an authority but I at least have a perspective/overview of what the record shop scene is like. I have spent most of those visits browsing in record shops not always buying a great deal like some folks do (due to the price of the holiday in the first place, the vinyl budget isnt massive).

The prices in recent years have gone up and this I believe is due to Discogs.

I was with a very well known/experienced Tokyo record dealer about 4 years ago and he was telling me how Discogs is really disliked by record store owners and dealers in Tokyo, there was an event taking place sponsored by Discogs at at the time a lot of dealers/shops were thinking about* boycotting the event due to their dislike of Discogs and its effect on the market. That afternoon a random chance meeting with another very well know Tokyo record dealer and in my limited Japanese I could hear him talking angrily about Discogs.

For many years now all of us here know most (if not most, many) used record stores in the UK price by Discogs, we have all taken an unpriced records to the counter and the staff say "let me look this up". Off to Discogs they go.
    Well' in Japan I never used to see Discogs on the record store laptop/computer screens, now its not uncommon to see a staff behind the counter with a stack of records referencing Discogs and due to this I believe the prices have gone up.

*I said thinking about as when I went to the event it was full of Tokyo store owners and dealers.

Now the good news is that even though prices have gone up its still a great place to buy records as they are very often still cheaper than in the UK, even with the price rise! The thing that I have mostly bought over the years that can be directly compared to UK prices are Rap LP.s And I would say on average that a used Rap LP that could cost 10 in the UK would cost 6-7 in Tokyo, now if you are buying a few albums that is really a great saving.
    Now if you want to go and buy a RAER of any genre the price could and probably will be through the roof but that's RAER's for ya.

And the other good news is they stores are still packed with heat! From bread and butter joints to dream record on your wantlists its all there for you to grab and take to the counter.

One thing to be carful with is New Release Japanese stuff, sometimes it is the same price in Tokyo as it is on Juno, and I saw a few newly released joints that were slightly cheaper to buy off Juno than shops in Tokyo! Must be a price fixing/exchange rate thing.

Anyways I was a supposed to go to Tokyo last year, didnt get there for obvious reasons and I cant see international travel being a free for all this summer either so Im doubtful I'll be going this year
    Last edited by francois parker; 04-03-21 at 04:53 PM.