Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior

Question New Orleans Hip Hop?

I got a few tapes from Mobo Records and I love them. That sound is so distinct, it's all their own. So much of it was limited to cassettes, and not a lot of information is out there on a good deal of it.

I'm wondering if there are any New Orleans Hip Hop diggers who can drop some recommendations. The stuff from 90-2000 in particular but later stuff is ok too if it's dope.

Thanks in advance.

DWG Warrior
    Was hoping for a NOLA thread. Two favourites of mine - RIP MC Thick.

DWG Warrior
    Good documentary.

DWG Warrior
    I have probably 80% of any vinyl release from Louisiana from 89 til 94, still missing few bits.
    louisiana rap is difficult to get as most of the records were destroyed by kathrina, good luck.
    even few producers from that time confirmed me that they don't have copies of their own records.
    on cassette it might be easier toget some stuff and ome stuff was cassette only.

DWG Warrior
    Thanks dannycrates and djmpfortyfive

I'd love to paw at your NO Hip Hop djmpfortyfive! Hard to find doesn't even begin to describe the situation. Not only hard to find but there's not a lot of data out there on it, thus this thread in this forum. Where the deep hip hop digging nerds know wassup with the regional shit.

I've heard the "most of the records were destroyed by Katrina" tale pretty much every time I bring this up, but you have some of these records, and I have one, so they are out there somewhere... I found mine in Wisconsin of all places, it's a Lil Elt 12" that isn't on Discogs and it's so dope. I guess I better add it there for prosperity. I got my copy for next to nothing because it was warped with the worst possible edge warp you can imagine and the parts that do play sound like someone dragged it behind a car for a few miles. I put it in the vinylflat I own for 9 months, making it more playable but I still can't play the dopest first song, so its going back in there for another year.

I have a few tapes as well from Mobo Records, I'll share that info in a bit once the new one I just ordered comes.

So what really good joints do you have on wax djmpfortyfive? I don't need a full run down, but can you name some "look for these" recommendations?

DWG Warrior

Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior

Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    this is one of the dopest nola rap records , could have been easily included in any HNE kind of mixtape, even better than some tunes that were on those mixes IMO, Mc Dart was a beast, shame he never did anything after 39 posse ...RChecka you can start finding this one!

DWG Warrior
    the tune that started my obsession with NOLA rap , better than anything else that came out in 1998 and best album produced by Mannie Fresh IMO

DWG Warrior
    ^Dope shit guys.