Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Documentaries

Just wondered if anyone else here is into their documentaries as much as I am?
    Not many things will ever come close to 'Style Wars', but in terms of non-hip-hop docs, some of my favourites are:

'The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters' (Seth Gordon/2007)

A middle-school science teacher and a hot sauce mogul vie for the Guinness World Record on the arcade classic, Donkey Kong. Really funny in places and totally entertaining as one guy totally lets his ego get the better of him.

'Vinyl' (Alan Zweig/2000)

Pretty good (slightly too long) film about the dark world of collecting vinyl. Ends up being about obsessive compulsive collecting rather than music itself, but well worth watching. The bit where the guy ends up giving away his favourite records is crazy. Took me a long time to find the original VHS of this - and cost me $80. There's one copy on Amazon right now for $240!

'Cocaine Cowboys' (Billy Corben/2006)

Probably the definitive film about drug smuggling. Real 'Scarface' type shenanigans - and a bunch of kids who basically got lucky when they realised that flying drugs into Florida in the early '80s was going to be a lucrative hobby... Miami Vice, but fact rather than fiction.
    The sequel, which focuses on Griselda Blanco (the 'Godmother'), isn't as good but still watchable.

'Joe Kid on a Stingray' (Bang Pictures/2005)

Anyone who rode BMX in the '70s/'80s should see this great film about the history of BMX. Some great archive footage of the first race teams and Bob Haro doing the first freestyle tricks.

'Dark Days' (Marc Singer/2001)

A great doc about the homeless communities under New York City, living in abandoned subway tunnels. The stories about how they got there and what they've had to do to live as society shuns them is quite touching. Nice DJ Shadow score as well.

'Rollin' Through The Decades' (Winstan Whitter/2005)

Slightly biased maybe (I provided a lot of footage in this one!), but you won't find a better account of the history of skateboarding in the UK anywhere else. A little long maybe, but thorough, and packed with interviews from all generations of UK skaters. My friend Winstan produced this and put his heart and soul into it for five years.

'Pedal' (Zephyr/2006)

Produced by graf legend Zephyr, this great documentary is about the lives of NYC bike messengers: not so much the sport of riding, but the lifestyles of these crazy guys weaving through the traffic day in, day out. Comes with a nice book too - and the extras are worth watching as well. 'Mash' is a good alternative, focusing on the riders in SF, but more of a collection of riding segments rather than a proper documentary.

'Stoked' (Helen Stickler/2002)

Thought the title of this was awful - how could anyone be 'stoked' about the rape/murder of a teenage girl? - but the film is good. I remember Mark 'Gator' Rogowski as one of the Tony Hawk-figures in the '80s skate scene - he had every potential to be one of the best in the industry today. But whilst at the top of his game in the late '80s, his cockiness and partying got the best of him and he went slightly nuts, ending with him killing his ex-girlfriend's best friend.

- others -

Some of the National Geographic docs have been good - 'The World's Most Dangerous Gang', the one about crystal meth addicts - but they're a little sensationalistic sometimes. 'Man On Wire' was watchable, but found it a bit overrated...
    Next on the list, I want to see the Christian Hosoi 'Rising Son' film and 'Red Light Go'.

Any recommendations out there?

DWG Warrior
    Thanks Chr!s, i just downloaded Cocaine Cowboys and The King of Kong, some ither i've sseen or are bit harder to fin.

I've always enjoyed 'Dogtown and Z-Boys' and i pop in 'Scratch' about once a year but i think those are well known. Another that has got me exited in the past is 'Kroonjuwelen' (aka 'Hard Times, Good Times, Better Times') about the Amsterdam Graff scene and recently 'WalkMen' from 2005, on early hip hop days in Rotterdam (Netherlands) but maybe those are a little to 'regional'. (like another dutch skate dvd i like to check out on Fret Click but i haven't been able to find it online).

Stylus:>Thanks Chr!s, i just downloaded Cocaine Cowboys and The King of Kong, some ither i've sseen or are bit harder to fin.
    Let me know what you think of those two!

Stylus:>Another that has got me exited in the past is 'Kroonjuwelen' (aka 'Hard Times, Good Times, Better Times') about the Amsterdam Graff scene and recently 'WalkMen' from 2005, on early hip hop days in Rotterdam (Netherlands) but maybe those are a little to 'regional'.
    Do either have English subtitles? If so, I'd be interested to check out the graf one particularly...

Some good films there Chris! Kroonjuwelen has english subs and is highly recommended and so it the french Writers and it also has english subs.

Other films I would recommend is Winther Soldier, Captured and Overnight.

Winther Soldier is about Viet Vets looking back. Crazy stuff! Captured is about the Thompson Square Park riots and has some bloody footage in it. Overnight is amazing and is about the director of Boondock Saints and his downward spiral on the ride of fame.

Peace,

Dress

DWG Warrior
    Some good ones mentioned and a few there I am going to have to look out for.

I really enjoyed Dig ! about rock bands the Brian Jonestown Massacre and the Dandy Warhols.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388888/

I have only seen it in the cinema but Breath Control about beatboxing was a great hip hop related one.

Standing in the Shadows of Motown about the Funk Brothers and The Kid Stay's In the Picture about Hollywood Producer Robert Evans are other ones I recently enjoyed.

The films of Adam Curtis are also essential. You can watch 'The Century of Self' , 'The Power of Nightmares' and 'The Trap' on google video.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.

DWG Warrior
    Hype! (1996) by Doug Pray (the same guy behind the Scratch doc)

DWG Warrior
    I just added some of these to my love film list, good thread!

:thumbup:

^ Good recommendations guys - thanks for sharing!

DWG Warrior
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2618028804799838221

Here is that Kroonjuwelen with subtitles.

Cheers Bob!