Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Documentaries

DWG Warrior
    Love documentaries. A lot of times I find them more refreshing and interesting to watch than feature films.

Some good ones I've watched recently:
    Grizzly Man by Werner Herzog. Pretty well-known, about a misfit who lived with bears in the wild for years until the killed him. Interesting reflections on Man-vs-Nature by the director.

Titicut Follius, a "direct cinema" classic by Frederick Wiseman. Really grim story about life in an asyum for the criminally insane. I had to look away during the forcefeeding-through-the nose scene...!

66 Scenes from America by Jørgen Leth - art-documentary film with glorious plateau-style scenes of iconic Americana incl. Andy Warhol eating a hamburger, un-edited. I wrote my Communication thesis on the sequel - and graduated, hehe...

Trane Tracks - pretty average lifestory about John Coltrane. But get it for the most complete collection of rare footage incl. So What w. Miles Davis, My favorite Things, Impressions etc.

Tintin et moi - about Tintin's creator Hergé and his life with the cartoon character. Visually delightful. They created a visual side to an audio interview using some special sketching technique.

Chris, is Pedal the one with the messenger Skeletor who refuses to deliver to no. 666 and the homeless messenger? Saw that on tv a while ago, very good. Impressive camerawork, remember the cycling cameraman crashing at least one...

DWG Warrior
    RIZE by David LaChapelle is quite ok as well

DWG Warrior
    Chr!s, have you seen Chasing Ghosts? Lots of the same cast as King of Kong. Another interesting take on that ubernerd scene without the big good vs. bad element.
    From each according to his ability, to each according to his need

DWG Warrior
    @ Bob, yeah Adam Curtis is a hero of mine. My head was in a strange place for a while after watching his seminal 'Century of the Self' series, heavy watching...

DWG Warrior
    I really enjoyed the recent 'The night James Brown saved Boston' doc. It's about the gig he did the night after Martin Luther King was assassinated.

DWG Warrior
    Loved King Of Kong.
    The new Tyson doc is good too - caught that on google video.

Has anyone seen the Doc about the Golden Gate and it being a hugely popular
    suicide spot?? Pretty creepy.

The HBO doc on The Thriller In Manilla is excellent too. Shows a different side of Ali.

Jesper:>
    Chris, is Pedal the one with the messenger Skeletor who refuses to deliver to no. 666 and the homeless messenger? Saw that on tv a while ago, very good. Impressive camerawork, remember the cycling cameraman crashing at least one...
    Yes - that's the one! Some spectacular crashes in there.

I haven't seen that Golden Gate doc, but heard it was good. And the one about the 'Helvetica' typeface is supposed to be surprisingly interesting!

Thanks for the suggestions guys: 'Grizzly Man' is sitting on my shelf to be watched shortly. 'Chasing Ghosts' looks really interesting too.

Another strong recommendation (from a friend who hates everything usually!) was 'Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson'.

From IMDB's page:

"Jack Johnson was a true original. The first black man to hold the heavyweight boxing championship, he was a self-assured man who dressed well, drove fast cars, and kept white women as girlfriends. While not unusual now, this was highly irregular a hundred years ago, at a time when black lynchings were at their peak and the press regularly printed offensive cartoons to go along with its racist rhetoric. In the ring, he was a highly intelligent boxer, favouring a defensive style unknown in his day. He was also incredibly sensitive and articulate, especially for a man with only five years of formal education. But the struggles Johnson faced were almost insurmountable. No white champion would agree to fight a black man. Jim Jeffries preferred to retire undefeated rather than face Johnson, and Johnson had to travel around chasing champ Tommy Burns, hounding him to give him a title shot. When Burns finally agreed to a fight in 1908 (for a purse of $35,000, an unbelievable sum in those days), the contest wasn't even close, with Johnson dancing around, taunting his opponent, and talking to people in the ringside seats. The police stepped in during the fourteenth round to prevent him from knocking out the badly beaten Burns."

Oh yeah, the one about the Brian Jonestown is pretty amazing like said above.

Dress

DWG Warrior
    Dreskieboogie:>Oh yeah, the one about the Brian Jonestown is pretty amazing like said above.

Dress
    That the one with archive footage of all the victims after the massacre? Saw that on tv once - heart-wrenching.

DWG Warrior
    Jesper:>
    Dreskieboogie:>Oh yeah, the one about the Brian Jonestown is pretty amazing like said above.

Dress
    That the one with archive footage of all the victims after the massacre? Saw that on tv once - heart-wrenching.

The one I mentioned is about the band Brian Jonestown Massacre but the one about Jim Jones is good as well.
    Hypnotical Gases - Keeping my proboscis out of the dirt.