Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    ^ I agree it's a hard call, but I think the InI lp is slightly better.

Centre Of Attention is one of my all time favourite all time albums.

DWG Contributor
    I don't really think there's much need to own 'The LP'. I always thought it was a crushing disappointment. the singles were fine, but most of the non-single tracks weren't a patch on what we know Extra P could deliver back then. 'Centre of Attention' is packed with great stuff, by contrast, although there's some filler too. I wouldn't put these in the same league, 'The LP' for me is a 4/10 record, maybe a 6 if a few years earlier he hadn't been responsible for the sublime 'Breaking Atoms'

DWG Warrior
    I'm a big fan of both but InI far surpasses.
    Large Pro chose to strip down his production, as was the style of the time (94-95 and on).
    Pete kind of matured & refined his sound from the PR & CL albums.

I still come across samples used on the InI album that just blow me away.
    Soft Machine? Jackie Mittoo? Dorothy Ashby?
    Pete was killing it.
    Plus that autowah effect he started using? Amazing.

Love the production on 'Centre Of Attention'. 'The LP' I can take or leave.......

DWG Warrior
    @ Drewhuge, I know what you mean about the LP singles having most of the strong tracks on, however it needs to be copped for 'LP - For My People' alone this has become one of my fave cuts.
    From each according to his ability, to each according to his need

DWG Warrior
    Regarding the INI lp, what is the best version of this LP to own? The yellow cover with the head on or the brick wall cover with the Pete Rock logo?
    From each according to his ability, to each according to his need

DWG Warrior
    Brick wall cover is the legit press...yellow ones version of To Each His Own is pitched up strangely

DWG Warrior
    Love both for both rhymes and beats but if pressed I'd pick Large Pro's timeless rhyming over INI's 90-ish smoothness.

It's pretty cheesy, but Large Pro's 'Have Fun' off that album is one of my favourite album-only cuts ever.

The INI album blew me away when I first heard that too. I had a couple of weird bootleg EPs from that album that I picked up before the 'Fakin Jax' 12" even dropped. Speaking of which, that 12" is amazingly dope too. The remixes aren't wildly different to the original versions, but they're slightly better IMO.

That was a good period in music for me.