Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by speck View Post
    Recently tried wood glue for the first time, on a record that multiple isopropyl alcohol cleanings (my standard method) did absolutely nothing. Words are not enough to describe the result.

Before: http://www82.zippyshare.com/v/KmK0elYF/file.html
    After: http://www82.zippyshare.com/v/fhrTLJpj/file.html
    I've never tried that technique myself, but that's impressive.

DWG Warrior
    Just thought i'd contribute a method i been using for a while now, real real simple and costs no money or even time really lol very lazy technique.. but really effective, at least for me it has been

So u get a second hand record say, look at it in the light its got fingerprints, dust, some unidentifiable matter on it whatever. I used to use one of those "anti static" record cleaning super thin fibre brush things which basically turns records into a ultra-static charged flith magnet and prety much redistributes the dust around the wax. not to mention it does nothing for all that other surface shite.

I started getting real lazy and just wiping the record with the inside of my tshirt that im wearing. and what i found is, if you breath on the record directly, whilst wiping the surface with the shirt (putting a reasonable amount of pressure on) it cleans up a real treat. gets rid of all the above crud mentioned 9/10 times for me. the trick is to make sure you breath onto the wax as you clean, so the breath condensation dosnt evaporate before the fabric gets to it.

I started doing it with real cheap records from chairty shops etc and now trust the technique enough to use it for more expensive stuff even a couple of 50+ ones (a rare purchase for me these days!)
    Last edited by theblend; 05-03-16 at 09:26 PM.

DWG Warrior
    Got one of these for Christmas & it’s fantastic.
    Really impressed with the results.
    Last edited by stilts; 07-01-18 at 01:41 PM.

DWG Warrior
    Picked this up really cheap so don't really mind fucking it up further but anyone got any idea how remove what appears to be glue residue?

I apologise if I've missed any previous comments but didn't see any.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

DWG Warrior
    Tried lighter fluid or Goo Gone?

Not tried this, but I found this advice:

1. Remove adhesive with Goo Gone. Use soft cloth soaked with Goo Gone. Use it sparingly.
    2. Quickly remove excess Goo Gone with a soft dry cloth.
    3. Remove the remainder of Goo Gone with Isoproyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).
    4. Quickly remove isopropyl alcohol with distilled water.
    5. Wipe the water dry with a soft cloth.

Avoid using a paper towel as it is usually treated with detergent to makes it water-absorbent.
    Go through these steps quickly to avoid prolonged contact of solvents with the vinyl. Whatever you do, NEVER use heat on the vinyl.
    Last edited by stilts; 21-05-18 at 02:55 PM.

I don't know how it would affect the surface of a record but WD40 is absolutely amazing at removing sticky residue... as with Stilts post above you'd have to then think about how to get rid of the WD40 from the record surface of course...

DWG Warrior
    isopropanol is great as it evaporates without leaving a residue, should do the job fine

DWG Warrior
    Thanks fellas I'll have a play and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk