Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    Cheers mate - where would I be able to pick that up? Boots? B&Q?

DWG Warrior
    Frosty:>Cheers mate - where would I be able to pick that up? Boots? B&Q?
    Pharmacy - it's pretty much pure alcohol, so you may get a bit of resistance from the counter..

^ Lighter fluid will also get that off very easily without damaging the label/sleeve.

DWG Warrior
    yeah I've had funny looks when I ordered it

DWG Warrior
    Cheers guys...I'll go to the pharmacy after work with my best innocent looking face on

DWG Warrior
    just make sure you keep the buckfast well out of sight Frosty (brown paper bag doesn't count :tongue

DWG Warrior
    i use lighter fluid to remove labels and some pen marks

i meight get a bottle of that isopropoynl a try 1 day

back in the day i used to use any old aftershave and it did the job ok:bigsmile:
    Dam i love this site!!

DWG Warrior
    Cro:>just make sure you keep the buckfast well out of sight Frosty (brown paper bag doesn't count :tongue
    I'll hide it in my extra baggy trousers I use for shoplifting

DWG Warrior
    I'm actually really impressed with the record cleaner I use. I tried alcohol and lighter fluid and so on, but for the really nasty dirty records I highly recommend Groovy Cleaner.

I have rescued some rare records that were just caked on with smoke residue and grime like you wouldn't believe using Groovy Cleaner.

A little trick I learned was to use that CD shaped clear plastic ring (the one you get as packaging on the tops and bottoms of CD-R spools) to protect the label from the damage of the spray. The spray will eat the adhesive right off the label, and bleed the ink, it's really good stuff, so this is essential if you wanna keep the label in good shape.

All you do is

1. Put the record on your turntable.
    2. Put the clear plastic disc over the label, its hole is a bit large for the spool, but it's not a problem it easily protects the label.
    3. Spray Groovy Cleaner thoroughly on the record, let it pool up in the grooves, soak the LP as much as you can.
    4. Wait at least 5 minutes. (During this time you can actually see the cleaner start to bubble the grime away)
    5. Then take the cleaning clothe they give you, and clean the record as hard as you possibly can. I press down really hard with my rag on the record and turn the platter with my other hand, and let the rag soak up all the cleaner. The rag was once yellow, it's now black from all the nasty tar it removed from the record.
    6. Repeat if necessary.

I bought a super ass rare Orb record for next to nothing because the guy who sold it to me over-seas said it was in poor condition. It kinda was, but it just needed some lovin. It played horribly before I cleaned it and I thought it was a lost cause, but after doing those steps, it turned out to be in VG quality.

It was kinda cool cuz the first time I played it after I cleaned it with Groovy Cleaner, the needle actually peeled the remaining grime from the grooves like a pencil sharpener. When it got done playing there was this long brown string of gunk attached to the stylus. That's how good this stuff is. It's expensive, but if you can rescue some great records, it's well worth it.

DWG Warrior
    rchecka:>A little trick I learned was to use that CD shaped clear plastic ring (the one you get as packaging on the tops and bottoms of CD-R spools) to protect the label from the damage of the spray.
    That's a useful tip, cheers for that!