Welcome to the DWG Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    No prob man. Yeah, it really works well for that.

DWG Warrior
    Tha_Disc_Eater:>
    rchecka:>A little trick I learned was to use that CD shaped clear plastic ring (the one you get as packaging on the tops and bottoms of CD-R spools) to protect the label from the damage of the spray.
    That's a useful tip, cheers for that!
    thats a bloody good idea

thanks for that as well from Skim

mind you i do have a pro record cleaner machine but thats well worth knowing
    Dam i love this site!!

DWG Warrior
    For your average dirty record - Isopropyl neat, spray on wipe off easy!

For mould or really dusty records - Wash em under the tap with a bit of washing up liquid, drain and dry off then maybe clean with the isopropyl.

For stickers on labels - Lighter fuel - soak the sticker or residue, leave it (I but a plastic sleeve over it as it stops it evaporating so quick) then just peel of and wipe off the sticky stuff.

DWG Warrior
    i use teh washing up liquid method, heard before that isopropane and lighter fluid can make wax brittle, but i havnt tried it myself so cant back that up with experience... you chaps have obviously had no probs with using that stuff so i reckon its probs ok!

however im concerned about what kind of materials to scrub and dry the wax with as pretty much everything ive used from a sponge to dusting cloth has left behind some kind of fibres wich get lodged in the grooves.

DWG Warrior
    johnnyroast:>For your average dirty record - Isopropyl neat, spray on wipe off easy!

For mould or really dusty records - Wash em under the tap with a bit of washing up liquid, drain and dry off then maybe clean with the isopropyl.

For stickers on labels - Lighter fuel - soak the sticker or residue, leave it (I but a plastic sleeve over it as it stops it evaporating so quick) then just peel of and wipe off the sticky stuff.
    oh right Isopropyl is for cleaning records only (not taking stickers off)

i wont bother buying that then (i keep to my lighter fluid way)

any tips on pen felt marks on labels? i use lighter fluid for that .apply about 4 or more times (its 30% 70% success rate)
    Dam i love this site!!

DWG Warrior
    has anyone a link where i cna buy this lighter fluid?

thanks

mad

DWG Warrior
    The reason to use alcohol based cleaners is they evaporate without leaving a residue on the record. Washing up liquid, water etc will leave behind traces of limescale, chemicals etc. It might not be a meaningful deposit but they will be there. Most of the 'concoctions' suggest distilled (pure) water which obviously doesn't have any additives and should evaporate without a trace.

With that said I use some blue AM Denmark "Record Cleaner" that I bought from Jumbo Records in Leeds about 6 years ago - (I don't clean that often!). I use a carbon fibre bristle brush to get rid of surface dirt and dust then spray the stuff on and wipe it off.

[img]http://www.speakerbits.com/images/product-large/AM10101.jpg">

Not really got the cash or need for a VPI etc

DWG Warrior
    Carbon fiber brush is essential. Much better than those velour/velvet/ or lint brush style. Distilled water is recommended as well. I use a product called Triton X-114. It's a wetting agent that has molecules smaller than water so it's guaranteed to get to the bottom of the grooves. You only need a drop so you can buy the smallest size and it should basically last you a loooong time.

3 equal parts distilled water
    1-2 equal parts isopropyl
    1 drop Triton X-114

DWG Warrior
    [url=http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/fluids.html">Here's some variations on record cleaning solutions.[/url]

DWG Contributor
    Pardon my ignorance, but wtf is isopropyl?