Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    Your time and effort is appreciated

Thanks again chaps

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Craig View Post
    Your time and effort is appreciated

Thanks again chaps
    word. the outages in the last days made me realise how much i missed this place. props to the dwg admins for going the extra mile to keep this ship afloat.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by udon View Post
    word. the outages in the last days made me realise how much i missed this place. props to the dwg admins for going the extra mile to keep this ship afloat.
    No truer words uttered

We're back up - just ironing out the bugs at the moment!

DWG Warrior
    Well done Chris - we know you love the whole server hosting work!

It's doing my head in! We're running the latest vBulletin software now... but loads of shit doesn't seem to work or load properly!

DWG Warrior
    i won't pretend to understand what moving servers entails but im sure its a proper ball ache. glad to have DWG back up. cheers Chris.
    beats like ice cream, rhymes are like sprinkles...

DWG Warrior
    Good job getting the site back up - ain't no sunshine when it's gone...

What exactly was the root cause of these last downtimes though? The huge amount of webtraffic overwhelming the servers, technical problems or other reasons altogether? (I got the impression we got kicked off one of the previous hosts on very short notice..?)

I'm sure this has been suggested before but I'd definitely be willing to make a small donation every now and then to keep my favorite website running smoothly if that's any help (and I'm positive others feel the same way).

Thanks for the comments

The problem is a combination of high web traffic – which is great for DWG and all of our sponsors/product placement peeps – and bugs in the forum software and plug-ins. The software and plug-ins are constantly being developed and improved, but as you add new ones or fix things, it breaks other things. Trying to keep everything compatible is tricky!

One of the plug-ins somewhere was causing a huge memory leak. I got this email from our old host:

The cloud server if struggling to handle PHP requests from your site.

- I started of at 1GB of RAM when I relaunched your site (As you know it kept crashing)
    - I upped it to 2 GB then 3, 4, 5, 6
    - I ended up with 8 GB of RAM before the crashing stopped.

After 1 month I have just got the first invoice of 235.00. Obviously this is too much for you to be paying for hosting.
    There was no choice but to move the forum onto a primed server, upgrade the software to the latest version – and then try installing everything from scratch. It's cost about 450 so far, plus the outstanding hosting charges from the old host.

I'm trying to get it working right, but there are all kinds of little issues that I'm trying to repair (the missing beige background image is the big headache right now: it's there on the server, but not loading for some reason).

DWG Warrior
    Top work - hugely appreciated!