Welcome to the DWG Forums.

View Poll Results: Poll: What is your favourite era of hip-hop?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1979–1989

31 23.48%
  • 1989–1995

88 66.67%
  • 1996–1999

11 8.33%
  • 2000–current day

2 1.52%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Canns View Post
    93-99
    This. That's when hip hop actually became listenable. No offense to all those 80s heads, but there are very few hip hop tracks I'd actually listen to prior to 92-93 and hip hop was at it's peek IMO between 94-97. So many gems.

so hip hop prior to 92 wasn't listenable...

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by raredave View Post
    so hip hop prior to 92 wasn't listenable...
    Yeah, I actually have problem listening to a majority of it. There are certainly exceptions (Tribe, De La, Gang Starr, Pete Rock). But what really solidified hip hop was the mastering of sampling of soul and jazz. By 94, sampling in this manner was a robust practice. Show me some 80s joints you think are hype, and I'll give it a try, but it typically is really struggle for me. I love Jazz and soul, so I cannot say it's a matter of being outdated without contradicting myself. I will just say I don't like it.

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by masteryofapathy View Post
    This. That's when hip hop actually became listenable. No offense to all those 80s heads, but there are very few hip hop tracks I'd actually listen to prior to 92-93 and hip hop was at it's peek IMO between 94-97. So many gems.
    BAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by diseone View Post
    BAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not so righteous in my conviction that I wouldn't change my mind. Play me the hottest joints of the 80s. When I think of hot 80s joints I think of Weather Report, Mclaughlin, Metheny, Allan Holdsworth, some keith jarrett, some funky soul joints (midnight star, george duke, and late whisper, isley, etc. ... samplable material).

DWG Warrior
    '79-'14.

Furious 5
    Planet rock
    Run DMC
    LL
    La di da di
    Juice Crew
    Miami bass
    Native Tongues
    East coast stomp
    D.I.T.C.
    G-funk
    Premo
    Company flow
    Money boss players
    Roc Marciano
    Marco Polo
    Rasheed Chappell
    De La Soul
    Last edited by Jesper; 29-03-14 at 10:56 PM.

DWG Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by masteryofapathy View Post
    Yeah, I actually have problem listening to a majority of it. There are certainly exceptions (Tribe, De La, Gang Starr, Pete Rock). But what really solidified hip hop was the mastering of sampling of soul and jazz. By 94, sampling in this manner was a robust practice. Show me some 80s joints you think are hype, and I'll give it a try, but it typically is really struggle for me. I love Jazz and soul, so I cannot say it's a matter of being outdated without contradicting myself. I will just say I don't like it.

Try Uptown, Dope on Plastic, followed by It's A Demo, then give Follow the Leader a go, maybe followed by Stezo's To The Max.

DWG Warrior
    The garden of England, where all the flowers grow & people like me suffer from Hayfever!!
    And try the obvious Big Names, Public Enemy, EPMD, the whole Cold Chillin' Fam, Run DMC, Ultramagnetic MC's, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, Treacherous Three, Afrika Bambaataa and al his associated releases, to dismiss such pinnacle artists, really shows your naivete regarding Hip Hop

I'm not sure if those choices cover the timelines accurately...but I gotta go with 96-99 based upon whats given........If I had to make up my own choice...I'd prolly say 94-2000, cause it brought hip hop to a new level of lyricism and incorporated a lotta different regions/cities in there as well.....the production began to change drastically.....and a lotta genre shaping classics came out during that time........
    Last edited by digitallydigging.com; 30-03-14 at 02:03 PM.
    Old School, Rare and Hard-to-Find Hip Hop/R&B Vinyl, Cassettes, Mixtapes and More:

Website/Blog: http://www.digitallydigging.com
    Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/seller/hiphopisdeaddotnet
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DigitallyDigging
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/digitallydiggin